Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grovegreenguy

Camellias sporting?

FrozeBudd_z3/4
19 years ago

Reading the forum, I think my question has already been answered ... that it's not uncommon for camellias to sport. Today at the greenhouse, I had come across a Kumasaka in which displayed the most wonderful full rose / waterlily form ... no flowers at all show their stamens, the blooms are fantastic! Thinking the plant was obviously mislabeled, I thought little of it ... but, quickly snatched it up before the friendly lady beside me had also spied it! ... oh, and when she did she had said "are you sure you really want that plant? ... cause, I'm interested!" I just smiled and said it's coming home with me!

Anyways, back to my main thought. Looking at other Kumasaks, I had seen another plant in which had two very distinctive bloom types on the same limb. Some blooms were showing their bold yellow stamens while others had pretty anemone centers...... OKAY, I just checked Monrovias site and see Kumasaka pictured with both types of blooms ... I guess this just happens and flower form can vary from year to year. As for the plant I picked up, the whole shrub displays gorgeous very full flowers on a plant with identical bloom color, leaf shape and plant stature to Kamasaka ... sport or not, I LOVE it! I'd post a photo though, have never gotten the knack of doing so on this site. Terry

Comments (2)

More Discussions