Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Virginia W. Cutter

Posted by laurie_bray z8 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 19, 08 at 3:13

Hello,

I've a problem with the Camellia 'Virginia W. Cutter'.

http://www.lovcam.org/nomenc.php?page=v&id=579#ANC-ID579

I saw it semi-double form, but, in the Camellia Register, it's an anemoneform.

Could you have some picture of it (anemonform). Did you see it ?

Thank you for advance,

Here is a link that might be useful: Lovcam.org

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Virginia W. Cutter

This camellia is the product of a breeding program that was aimed at developing fragrant hybrids. It is 75% C. japonica and 25% C. lutchuensis. It should have the fragrance of its lutchuensis ancestor. In the 1973 American Camellia Yearbook the breeder says that it has eight guard petals and 100 or more petaloids interspersed with stamens. The darker venation in the photo on the Lovecam site looks right when compared to the Yearbook's color plate. Perhaps climate or maturity could account for difference in form?

o

Thank you, Mlb86. Is it possible to have a picture (just to keep it, not to put it in my nomenclature) ?

I see often differences in form, or color flower, because of the climate.

Here is a link that might be useful: Lovcam.org

o

I have been producing lots of seedling for last 20 years. I found that single and formal double flower shall have more stable form. Peony flower has variations. Anemone and semidouble tends to have variations when the plant is under stress. That is why, one of the reasons, during the flower show, you will observe different forms of identical flower.

o

I have a plant of Virginia W. Cutter. It is possible the original plant of Dr. Cutter, handed down to me from Mr. Ken Hallstone.

The flower is wine red in full anemone form. The flower picture at Lovcam is obviously of flower under environmental forces. It shows the tendency of anemone flower. I happen to have a seedling produced by Virginia W Cutter,called 'Dragon Fireball'. It is not fragrant, not yet being registered yet.

Here is a link that might be useful: [IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/wangjohn666/DragonsFireballforPascal-1.jpg[/IMG]

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here