Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What is the longest you've waited on flowers?

Posted by GAAlan z8 Atlanta (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 28, 05 at 7:26

I was extremely excited the other day when I was leaving for work and spotted a flower. I was looking out the passenger rearview mirror when I saw something white in a place I'd not seen white before! I got out and literally ran back up the driveway to have a look! I had my first open flower on Vernons White japonica. I knew it had been a loooong time since it was planted, but was not sure till I checked my records that night. I planted it on December 11, 2001 and spotted that first flower on February 25, 2005. I waited almost as long on some Yuletides to bloom. Here is a picture of my first flower....

Here is a link that might be useful: Vernons White

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What is the longest you've waited on flowers?

Wowza! That looks like it was well worth the wait!

I haven't kept score on camellias, because I know how long they take. I might get discouraged over it if I actually take note that it can take years before seeing a bloom...

o

I'm still waiting on two of mine! I acquired two from a friend who was relandscaping, and the previous owner of her house had left a few potted camellias around, sadly neglected. The first year neither had buds. The second year, one did but it dropped without opening. This year, each had one or two buds, but they got knocked off by our heavy rains. Maybe next year....

o

Here in the north, I grow my camellias as potted specimens in a cool solarium, in which they grow and bloom very well! I always select my plant while in bloom from a local greenhouse ... so, actual waiting time has been reduced to 0.00 seconds! Sorry, for the pun!

Terry

o

I planted my camillia about 5 yrs ago or so. It's in partial sun & shade.
It had a few blooms, a couple of times,but I did fertilize mine with a plant spike,and pruned it some last summer.
This year it bloom quite alot. I am so happy.
I just might buy another one.

o

• Posted by pdez Alabama (My Page) on
    Mon, Sep 18, 06 at 10:52

Is there another name for Vernon's White Camellia? I am having a hard time locating information on this one. Thanks.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here