Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
okintos

XLIV international camellia show vigo 2008

okintos
16 years ago

44th. International Concourse Exhibiti Camellia 2008

VIGO (Galicia, Spain)

On the 1st and 2nd of March, 2008, Contest celebrates 44 th. International Exhibition of the Camellia. This one year, his celebration, corresponds to the City of Vigo. Of alternative form, it is celebrated also, in the cities of Pontevedra and Vilagarcía de Arousa.

Regards.

Camellia japonica Cv. ÂCIDADE DE VIGOÂ (Sym.ÂCIUDAD DE VIGOÂ,ÂCITY OF VIGOÂ)

{{gwi:504757}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia 2008

Comments (10)

• florence_2007
    16 years ago
    last modified: 9 years ago

Would you give info for 2009 asap for those of us who would have to travel a great distance?
    Thank you

• okintos
    Original Author
    16 years ago

XLV Contest International Exhibition of the Camellia
    VILAGARCÍA DE AROUSA 2009
    {{gwi:504758}}

{{gwi:504759}}

Hello Florence.
    The calendar of exhibitions of camellia in Galicia, has very few changes, from one year to another year. Only the Contest International Exhibition of the Camellia can change.

Always it is realized in the last weekend of February or in the first month of week of March. Until November or December, 2008 do not be it will know safely.

If there are no changes, 45th. Contest International Exhibition of the Camellia, it will be celebrated in February 28, 2009 and March 1, 2009. (in the City of Vilagarcía de Arousa ).
    Regards.

XLIV Contest International Exhibition of the Camellia VIGO 2008
    {{gwi:504760}}
    {{gwi:504761}}
    {{gwi:504763}}
    {{gwi:504765}}

Here is a link that might be useful: XLIV Expo International Camnellia Show Vigo 2008

• okintos
    Original Author
    16 years ago

She proves to be a Galician of the Camellia.
    The Galician fans, dedicate, almost all the weekends of the winter months to teaching his flowers of Camellia in the different Exhibitions that are celebrated every year. The Spanish Society of the Camellia, together with Turgalicia (Organism of promotion of the Tourism in Galicia), organized an Exhibition of Camellias in his honor, in the city of Santiago de Compostela, the capital of the Autonomous Community of Galicia.

I show you in the attached LINK, the photographies of the Exhibition.
    Regards.
    {{gwi:504767}}

{{gwi:504769}}

{{gwi:504770}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia Show St. James University

• luis_pr
    16 years ago

Nice pictures on that link! I even liked the blooming rhododendrons. The purple color reminds me of PJM, which I would love to grow here but it is a tad too hard.

• okintos
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello Luis.
    I am fond of the Rhododendron. Camellias and Rhododendrons want climates and similar soils.
    I do not understand well the English. I do not know totally the meaning of the words that refer to the plants. I am very sorry. Excuse Me for the question. That wants to say PJM?
    Regards.

Rhododendron ponticum
    {{gwi:504772}}

Rhododendron arboreum
    {{gwi:504774}}

Rhododendron simsii
    {{gwi:504776}}

Soutomaior's Castle VIII Camellia Show.-Proyección de diapositivas=Proyection of slides.

Here is a link that might be useful: Soutomaior's Castle VIII Camellia Show

• luis_pr
    16 years ago

The 'P.J.M'. hybrid group of rhododendrons are small shrubs, growing to a height of 3-5 feet tall. A sample photo can be seen on the PJM Rhododendron Picture Link at the bottom.

Their form is rounded and the foliage is leathery and dark green until fall when it turns almost purplish (Olga Mezzitt is the best known purplish example). One of the reasons the 'P.J.M.' group is such a heavy flowerer is that the plant does not set seed. They are very hardy, among the hardiest and most shade tolerant rhododendrons.

The flower color is a vivid, potent lavender-pink but the exact color varies with the particular selection of 'PJM' that one has.

The initials P.J.M. stand for Peter J. Mezzitt, who began the process (completed by his son Ed) that developed the very first crosses ever to carry those initials.

An example of an Olga Mezzitt Rhododendron with its purplish fall leaves can be seen {{gwi:504756}}. It was photographed in the fall of 2007 during a trip I took to Massachussetts. It had started to transition from green leaves to purple so most leaves had a reddish color. Eventually the red leaves turn purple.

PJM Varieties include the following:

'Black Satin' has a semi-erect habit and bears an abundance of showy, vivid, dark rose-pink flowers in mid-April. Fall and winter foliage is glossy and very dark purplish-black.
    'Counterpoint' is a deciduous shrub with a spreading, upright habit, and bears an abundance of showy, semi-double, vivid, bright pink flowers in mid-April.
    'Desmit' has a dense, mounding habit and bears an abundance of vivid, showy, pink flowers in early April. This cultivar has shown to be moderately resistant to sun scalding.
    'Elite' is a vigorous, tall grower and bears an abundance of vivid, showy, rich pink flowers in mid-April.
    'Henry's Red' has a broad, upright habit and bears an abundance of showy, vivid, deep red flowers beginning in mid-April.
    'Laurie' is a slow grower with a compact habit, bearing an abundance of showy, single to semi-double, very light pink flowers beginning in mid to late April.
    'Low Red Frilled' has a spreading, short, compact habit and bears an abundance of showy, frilled, vivid red flowers beginning in mid-April.
    'Marathon' is a deciduous cultivar with a semi-erect habit, and bears an abundance of showy, vivid, magenta flowers beginning in mid-April.
    'Molly Fordham' has a compact habit and bears an abundance of showy, vivid, white flowers beginning in early May.
    'Northern Rose' has a semi-upright habit and bears an abundance of showy, vivid, bright pink flowers beginning in mid-April. This rhododendron is the result of a cross between R. 'Waltham' and R. mucronulatum 'Cornell Pink.' It was first developed by Dr. Robert Ticknor.
    'Olga Mezzitt' is a vigorous grower with a spreading, upright habit and bears an abundance of showy, vivid, peach-pink flowers beginning in late April.
    'Regal' is a vigorous grower with a broad, spreading habit which bears an abundance of showy, vivid, light purplish-pink flowers beginning in mid-April.
    'Victor' is a slow grower with a compact habit and bears an abundance of showy, vivid, light purplish-pink flowers in early April.
    'Waltham' has a dense, mounding habit, to 3 feet tall and wide, and bears an abundance of showy, vivid, pink flowers beginning in mid-April. Leaf spotting occurs when exposed to full sun.
    'Weston's Pink Diamond' is a semi-evergreen shrub with a spreading, upright habit and bears an abundance of frilled, double, vivid, pink flowers in early April.
    'White Angel' is a semi-evergreen shrub with an upright habit and bears an abundance of showy, white flowers, which open from lavender buds, beginning in mid-April.

Luis

Here is a link that might be useful: PJM Rhododendron Picture

• florence_2007
    16 years ago

Thank you so much for the information regarding your exhibition dates. Would you believe, I just received them. It would be great to visit.
    I notice that you place what resembles a moss between blooms on the tables. That is most attractive and I compliment you on that.

• okintos
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you very much, Luis. He is very nice you in his answer. Rhododendrons's variety, it must be fascinating. I do not know on Rhododendros's varieties. Only I know some present species in our historical gardens. Thank you again, for his labour of divulgation.
    Thank you also, to other persons of this one forum that they help with your knowledge, to spreading the interest for the camellias.
    Daniel

Rhododendron X obsutum
    {{gwi:504777}}

Rhododendron mucronatum
    {{gwi:504778}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia Show St. James USC University

• okintos
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Hello Florence. It would be an honour to be able to receive him in any of our Exhibitions. Of traditional form, the flowers of our exhibitions, they had appeared till now, on a bottom of moss in the tables. For a few years, the fans of the Camellias, decided not to use the moss. The mosses are plants to protecting. Nowadays other materials are in use. The most usual is the Lawn (grass) in roll (Tepe ?).

As member of the Spanish Camellia Society and of the International Camellia Society, I can say to him that we have presented, our offer to organize in Galicia in the year 2014, the International Congress of the ICS.
    Thank you for her nice words. Pardon, for my evil English.
    Regards.
    Daniel

{{gwi:504780}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia Show St. James USC University

• florence_2007
    15 years ago

How wonderful a 2014 trip to make. Your English is wonderful, do not apologize. Again, I appreciate your site more each time I visit it. Thank you

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading General Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions