Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Scented camellias

Posted by Temecula z9/19 CA (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 8, 04 at 11:51

I just left the Camellia Forest web site (are they reputable?) where I found descriptions of scented camellias. I've never noticed scent in a camellia before, but I am pretty new to them. If you are familiar with any of these, I'd love to hear your comments. Also if you could post pictures or can give me heights, bloom times, etc. that would be great. These are the varieties I read were scented:
Cinnamon Cindy
Cinnamon Scentsation
High Fragrance
Scentuous
Spring Mist

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Scented camellias

that nursery received good marks from the people who report to garden watchdog. i have not ordered from them, but i would not be hesitant to do so.
if you will do a search at gardenweb for "fragrant camellias", you should find many posts pertaining to that subject.
if i recall, the question of fragrance is subjective, depending on the sniffer. in other words, probably average to slight fragrance at best, on a good day.

o

High fragrance- Pale ivory pink with deeper pink shades at edge. Medium, peony form. Vigorous, open growth, mid to late season.

Scentous- Miniature to small loose peony. White with pink near edges. Growth upright and willowy. Mid season

Spring Mist- Small, semi-double, blush pink shading to white. Vigorous, upright, open growth, Mid season

o
RE: Scented camellias--

Since you are in CA you might want to check out Nuccio's Nursery in Altadena. They are world famous!

o

An article in the LA Times yesterday(see separate posting) quotes Tom Nuccio as saying, re 'High Fragrance,' "On a scent scale of 10, this one's an 8 or 9." It's noted as "a descendant of the sweet-smelling C. lutchuensis." The accompanying picture shows a ruffly pink-and-white flower.

Three slightly fragrant Japonicas in my garden are Herme (aka Jordan's Pride),Silver Waves, and Kramer's Supreme. It's kind of nice to stick your face in them and notice a little something that most Japonicas don't have.

o

Cinnamon Cindy is surely scented but degree varies from year to year. The flower is a light pink miniature.

o

Ooh . . . High Fragrance sounds like what I need! What does a miniature mean, the bush or the flower? Thanks!

o

The majority of C sasanqua and its cultivars are beautifully scented if you have the climate to enjoy their autumn/winter flowering

o

Another good fragrant hybrid camellia it Kato-No-Kaori. It is a miniature, pink, semi-double with great fragrance and a very small leaf. A camellia species, Grijsii Zhenzhucha, has an unusual fragrance of anise or licorice. Sweet Emily Kate is another good fragrant small bloom, blush pink shading to pale pink at the center. It is a good canidate for a hanging basket with it's pendulous growth habit. Check with Nuccio's Nursery in Altadena.

o

Temecula:
I just posted some information and discussion about fragrant camellia in the section of " Fragrant Plant Forum" of this Garden W.

AngelSmell even helped me to post a picture of my seedling flower.

o

I just smelled some cut flowers Herme (Jordan's Pride) on my desk. There is a slight fragrance if you stick your nose right to the center of the flower. I don't smell anything even if I am just a few inches away. But the flowers are gorgeous and the plant is 8 feet tall without receiving any watering during summer. It's on our other empty house.

o

Sweet Emily Kate, High Fragrance, Scentuous are the most fragrant Camellias to date. I grow all three. Cinimon Cindy does not have much scent. My nose is too old to get anything out of it. I have found that in the order listed above, is highest fragrance to lower. There are some who say that Kramer's Supreme has some scent. I could never smell it.

Bob

o

This is awfully late to be helpful to you, but maybe the next person...They (The people at Camelia Forest) are wonderful with VERY scented camelias! I have had mine for years now and love their beautiful mid-winter fragrance!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here