Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Mutation?

Posted by fairfield8619 Zone 8 N LA (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 15, 13 at 13:07

I layered this from an old plant on an vacant lot- the bush has two different colors. The first is the layered one and the second is from the other half of the bush- is this a mutation or is it just enviromental? Actually one half was all pink and the other was the white striped that you see. The layered one seems to be in between. This is from a single plant- I checked just to be sure. It doesn't seem to be from the understock either. I really liked the striped one better though.
 photo DSCF4100.jpg
 photo DSCF4093.jpg

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Mutation?

A sport is the common term. Many similar camellias (Eleanor McCown is the name of the one I had) have this behaviour. My EM had a branch where the flowers were all slightly different. Most were all pink (no splatches), others were like yours and so forth. My pooches destroyed the plant chasing squirrells so I did not get to enjoy the plant more than 2 years.

o

It might also be a graft chimera.

Here is a link that might be useful: Wikipedia - graft chimera

o

So I guess it could turn out to be almost anything? This will be an interesting story!

o

I can tell you a story to muddy the waters even further.

At a house we used to live in, the front yard by the street was lined with... blast it, I can't remember the name of them to save me now. Woody tree/shrubs, big purple flowers on them, commonly used in the South as a decorative/landscaping plant. Oh well, exact name isn't important. Whats important was that the front of the yard was lined with these things, and they were deep purple.

Then one day a speeder crashed his car into our yard, mowed right over one of those trees. It was bent over, broken, we expected it to die. It didn't, but to this day it blooms *WHITE*.

We joke that the car knocked all the purple clean off that thing.

So yeah, mechanical/environmental damage most certainly can change the color of the flowers.

o

Maybe an althea/rose of sharon? Interesting comment. I have one similiar. When I was young we had a black dog that got really sick and they gave her all kinds of injections in her side. All the hair fell out at the injection site and when it grew back it was white and always stayed white. Trauma is not good it seems.

o

Could be Carter's Sunburst. It sports white pink and blush striped on same bush many times. I have one w all 3 colors every year.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here