Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
camellia in central MD

Posted by mkand 7MD (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 8, 05 at 13:32

I am thinking of including a camellia in my vaguely japanese style evergreen border in the front of my house in Baltimore city- the bed gets western, afternoon sun and is quite warm as we are in microclimate due to reflected heat from the stone house. Rosemary thrives in this space and at 3 years is now over waist high.

I am looking for an upright variety that doesn't grow too wide, or can be maintained in a narrow form. I'd prefer pink flowers.

Any suggestions or am I just dreaming- many thanks for any advice offered
mary

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: camellia in central MD

Camellia 'Springs Promise' is a
VERY HARDY pink flowered camellia. It is one of the ice angel hybrids. Should do well in your climate and could be pruned to about any shape you would like as long as you prune it just after it flowers.

o

Check out the list at the American Camellia Society Website,
Luis

Here is a link that might be useful: Very Cold Hardy Camellias (Zone 6)

o

By all means, Mary, get to know the Ackerman Cam. group. Dr Ackerman started breeding these a number of years ago, & while the flowers are not as spectacular as the japonicas, they're quite beautiful & hardy. Ackerman lives & works in Montgomery County, Maryland - & I grow some in my garden north of Hagerstown. Also, don't forget that an enclosed courtyard creates a microclimate, especially if the enclosing walls are masonry; you could gain an entire zone in spots like that.

Here is a link that might be useful: Ackerman varieties

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here