Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to Propagate Camellia

Posted by mommaclark 9 (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 5, 08 at 14:12

I am hoping someone can help me. I have to wait until summer to propagate the Azelias and Gardenia... do I try the Camellia than or now in winter months?? I have a print out of the "How" but unfortunately it didn't say when...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to Propagate Camellia

propagation by cuttings is normally done in mid-summer and by grafting in mid-to-late winter in my area (about this time of year). air-layering is another method that works well for some cultivars.
see the link below for more information.

Here is a link that might be useful: camellia culture

o
RE: How to Propagate Camellia

Hi Mommaclark, I have yet another method that has worked well for me. It is called the forsythe pot method if you want to look it up. It involves using a large pot for the rooting medium with a small Terra Cotta pot in the center as a water reservoir. Put a cork in the drainage hole of the terra cotta pot and keep it full of water. This will allow the water to seep into the potting medium keeping it evenly moist. It still takes about 2-3 months for the cuttings to begin rooting, but what a great way to get more camellias right? I have the most success in july, but they will root most any time of the year, it just seems to take longer in the cooler months. Hope this is helpful. Linda

o
RE: How to Propagate Camellia and gardenias too

Hi again, Mommaclark, I just thought about the gardenias too. They can be rooted in water over winter.. just keep the water changed daily and let them take their time. They root much faster in summer, but will root for me in water outdoors all winter. Hope this helps, Linda

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here