Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Can you recommend a sasanqua camellia?

Posted by Bhamster 7b (My Page) on
Fri, Feb 8, 13 at 14:58

We just had to remove 4 huge elaeagnus that tipped over from heavy rain last month. They were on a slope that's about 5-6 feet high and divides our backyard from the neighbor's that is set higher up.

I would really like to plant Edward Goucher abelia but because they're supposed to be so popular with bees, I don't want to upset the neighbors if they don't like having so many bees in their backyard. I know they like camellias and so wondered if I could put a row of camellias at the top of the hill and then place the abelias lower down on our side. (I'm no good at estimating, but I would think we've got about 8 feet of space to work with--with about 20 feet in width.)

We wouldn't be able to really get up to these camellias once we plant them, so are they even a good candidate for this? We would want something that wouldn't get too huge and could take not great soil and full sun.

Thanks for your help.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Can you recommend a sasanqua camellia?

Camellias will need soil that drains well and some sun protection during the summer months. A source of soil moisture will also be needed so you can water during dry periods. The soil also needs to be acidic or not very alkaline.

Some sasanquas you could look for in local nurseries are Yuletide, Setsugekka and Kanjiro. Chansonette, Shishigashira and Bonanza are also good ones but they tend to spread.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here