Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Camelia's Buds fall off

Posted by Carrie70 Z8, Louisiana (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 10, 05 at 17:04

I have two camelia bushes that look healthy. They both have been loaded with buds. The buds never opened, they just drop off the bush. What causes this. Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Camelia's Buds fall off

Well that brings up a pretty common mystery, for which there is no pat answer and nobody can ever fully explain. You are not alone. The most common speculation is either too much or too little water, or some of the trace elements are out of range. You might try a soil test. Has this happened before? Some varieties are more prone to do that. I had a couple that bullnosed every year, and they were small enough to move, so I put them elsewhere and they are better. Another is about 50 years old (almost impossible to move) and never opens its buds, and I have about decided to give up and graft something else on it. If it has never happened in previous years, it may be climatic, but otherwise you may need to do some investigation.

o

You can read a good discussion thread on this subject, with more suggestions as to cause and cure on the American Camellia Society bulletin board, see link below. Click on the Bulletin Board and find the thread, "Anyone have a cure for bullnosing."

Here is a link that might be useful: American Camellia Society

o

• Posted by DeeDs1 the far SWUK-9 (My Page) on
    Wed, Feb 16, 05 at 20:44

I don't know if this will help, or even apply to you. Here in the UK this can be a problem in some areas. It is caused when there are overnight frosts, and if the camellia is in a spot where it gets the early morning sun, the conbination of frosted buds warming quickly can cause them to fall. I'm lucky we rarely if ever get frost and camellias are very cheap to buy here 3' ones from as little as $2.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here