Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
elizabeth108_gw

will my camellias die now?

elizabeth108
10 years ago

I've lived in Gainesville,Fl for several years. I had a very large oak with about 10 camellias planted around it, no idea what kind. they are about 5' tall. The oak started breaking major branches and had to be removed. Now the camellias went from lots of shade to full sun all day. Luckily this happened in January, not July. What do you think the chances are of the camellias surviving our long hot summers with such a big change? there is a sprinkler system so they can get all water necessary, assuming there is no drought.

Comments (5)

• luis_pr
    10 years ago

Sorry to hear that, Elizabeth. I do not think they will die (at least not now) since the sun in the winter months is weak but, they may have problems in the summer...

When my silver maple had to be cut down, I had to move my japonicas because japonica leaves are just not sun tolerant and will require afternoon shade starting around 12pm-ish during the worst of the summer months (say from May thru September-ish).

But, if you have sasanqua camellias, they may be ok as I have seen some sasanquas getting a lot of sun here (100s can be the daily normal for 2+ months) in a shopping center (note: these sasanquas are outside in pots).

At first, the leaves in your plants could experience some kind of shock and temporarily turn a bronze-like color due to the sudden sun exposure change but, eventually, the sasanqua leaves will return to dark green and withstand a lot of sun. I, however, out of habit, provide afternoon shade to all my camellias, including sasanquas.

If your shrubs are sasanquas, to be sure, on this first summer, keep an eye on the leaves to verify that the plants are doing well. If the sasanqua leaves are not doing well during the summer, transplant the plants asap (or provide temporary shade and transplant them during the 2014-2015 winter months). An example of temporary shade can be any contraption you build that provides afternoon shade or you can use 35% shade cloth sold in some nurseries or landscaping stores.

Bottom line: sasanquas may do ok but other camellias need afternoon shade.

Contact the American Camellia Society's Gainsville, FL Chapter at the link below if you want to touch base with the local folks. You can also email them at camellia@afn.org

Luis

This post was edited by luis_pr on Sun, Feb 16, 14 at 16:57

• Vicissitudezz
    10 years ago

As Luis mentioned, camellia japonica leaves are not shade tolerant- they will almost certainly get sun scald and look generally pitiful in full FL sun. Camellia plants are pretty tough, though, and if yours get enough water during the summer heat, you may get more blooms than before in the winter. Camellias in full sun often bloom more (so long as they aren't allowed to dry out), but the trade-off is unattractive sunburnt foliage.

I agree with Luis that if these are sasanquas, their leaves are less likely to scald than if they are japonicas. The first summer may be a tricky transition time, and even sasanquas may not make the adjustment without some leaf scalding.

If you're planning to replace the tree with another in the same general area, your camellias could stay in place, and just have unattractive leaves until the new tree(s) can protect them again.

Moving ten large-ish camellias would be a heckuva job, but isn't impossible if you think you'd prefer them elsewhere. Cool weather is the best time for transplanting, and there is good advice at this forum and elsewhere about how to prepare established camellias for a move if that's the way you decide to go. Planting one or more fast-growing shade trees sounds like an easier option, though.

Good luck!

• elizabeth108
    Original Author
    10 years ago

Thank you for your help. I'll keep my fingers crossed and water a lot.

• jamesmaloy
    10 years ago

Are you considering planting other trees to grow to produce the shade the camellias need? That is what I would consider doing and now is a good time to get something planted. I am sure in your area you could find some good sized starter trees, Pines, other oaks , redbuds some grow quite fast and in a few years you would have lots of shade again . I personally planted my camellias first and then planted tree seedlings I kept the camellias well watered and well mulched they have all done exceptionallly well and Now the trees are large enough to give shade and provide some natural mulch as well. You might also rig up some kind of temporary shade such as shade cloth attached to post etc. but I would surely have to plant that young tree tomorrow. Good luck and happy tree hunting.
    James in Florida

• Vicissitudezz
    10 years ago

Wow- wouldn't an Eastern Redbud in bloom at the same time as a late-blooming camellia look amazing?! Not sure when redbuds bloom in Florida, but they are beautiful. If I had room for another tree in our yard...

Sponsored
NME Builders LLC
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars2 Reviews
Industry Leading Kitchen & Bath Remodelers in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions