Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Received camellia as gift . . . help needed

Posted by solomon_sac (My Page) on
Thu, Feb 15, 07 at 17:40

Hello everyone. I just received a beautiful camellia tree as a gift. Unfortunately I know nothing about camellias. The variey is Chandleri Elegans Variegated, and it is about 3.5 to 4 feet tall, and in what looks like about a 2.5 gallon container from Monrovia. I have no idea what to do with it. I don't want to plant it in the ground as I will be moving in about a year.

Would it be okay if I just potted it up into a larger container for now? If so, is this a good time of year to do that, or should I wait? It's covered with buds that haven't opened yet, and i would hate to do something to cause it to drop the buds without blooming.

thanks for any advice! Oh yeah, I'm in the Sacramento Valley, and there aren't too many shady spots available. How much summer sun can it handle?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Received camellia as gift . . . help needed

YOU RECEIVED ONE OF MY FAVORITES. YES, YOU CAN REPOT IT BUT IF YOU DO NOT SEE ROOTS COMING FROM THE BOTTOM IT IS NOT NECESSARY. I ALWAYS LIKE TO LEAVE MY PLANTS IN THE POT IN THE AREA THEY ARE TO BE PLANTED OR REPOTTED SO THEY CAN GET ACCLIMATED TO THE SPOT. AS LONG AS YOU ARE REPOTTING AND DO NOT DISTURB THE ROOTS CONSIDERABLY YOU SHOULD BE ABLE TO REPLANT AT ANY TIME OF THE YEAR. JUST BE SURE TO GIVE ADEQUATE WATER. A SMALL PLANT GENERALLY NEEDS MORE SHADE THAN A MORE MATURE ONE.
HOPE I WAS A HELP. GOOD LUCK AND ENJOY

o
RE: Received camellia as gift . . . help needed

Thank you! It appears to be quite root-bound, so I will re-pot it this weekend, and attempt to avoid disturbibg the roots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here