Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
To Prune or Not to Prune

Posted by pamelagrace 7 (My Page) on
Mon, Feb 13, 12 at 18:30

I have seen Camellia's in their natural form and others pruned to tight balls. I prefer them natural but wondered if pruning was better for them.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: To Prune or Not to Prune

I too prefer to let them develop their natural look and prune only to remove dead wood. Controlling plant size is not an issue as min shrubs grow slowly enough where that is not a problem. Doing espalier arrangements sounds interesting but I can never find the time so I am passing on that for now.

Here is a link that might be useful: Article on pruning by the American Camellia Society

o
RE: To Prune or Not to Prune

Pruning of camellias is rarely 'better' for them. They should be planted in a location that accommodates their adult size, if possible. If you see any rubbing branches, remove one; any broken or damaged branches can be pruned; conservative shaping is fine....but should be done to open up the plant, rather than shape it like a ball or cube.

That always looks so silly, don't you think?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here