Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gardeniarose_gw

Camellias vs. Gardenias

gardeniarose
19 years ago

Are camellias as fussy as gardenias? Are they even related at all? I think camellias are just as beautiful, if not more so, than gardenias. Maybe I can be persuaded to make the switch. Are camellias fragrant?

Thanks!

Comments (9)

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    19 years ago

I think camellias are much easier than gardenias. Although fragrant camellias have been developed, I've never smelled one and I don't think they would be as heavenly as a gardenia.

• gardeniarose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks Melle. Are they hardy enough to be planted in the ground without having to worry about nematodes or chlorosis? Or are they happier in pots?

• PeaBee4
    19 years ago

Your problem is going to be the heat during the Zone 10 summer. You don't want them to dry out. They like moist, but not wet, shady soil. They can stand morning sun, but they will not florish with hot mid-day or afternoon sun. You will have to keep them well mulched. They are a hardy plant and I think they would be happier in the ground than in a pot. They are worth trying. Look around and see if your neighbors have them. If they don't, it's a good sign that your particular area is not good for them.

• melle_sacto is hot and dry in CA Zone 9/
    19 years ago

I've seen camellias be successful both in pots and in the ground but they can dry out easier in pots so potted camellias probably require more attention. I agree with PeaBee4, camellias are definitely worth a try. I live in zone 9 and summers here are pretty hot but camellias are successful (and probably overplanted) but I can't say how they would do in zone 10. Good luck!

• gardeniarose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

PeaBee and Melle,
    Thanks. I have a couple of spots that would be partly shaded by some smallish palms. I could also maybe try one in a large terra cotta pot and keep it in the shady part of the patio. Either way, I would like to give one a try if I see one in the stores.
    Thanks again.

• serenoa
    19 years ago

I gardened in Miami (zone 10) for eighteen years and never saw a camellia. Soil pH is an important limitation. Summer temperatures is not an issue but the length of the summer may be.

• LoraxDave
    19 years ago

I think maybe Camellias don't get enough Winter chill for good flowering in South Florida?? Anyone know for sure??

Growing both Camellias and Gardenias is mandatory in the South!!!

• gardeniarose
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Dave,
    I agree with you on it being mandatory to grow these plants in the south. The first time I ever saw a gardenia I was down here about 12 years go visiting my parents. Just outside the mall I was hit with this INCREDIBLE smell. Turns out there were 2 huge gardenias in full bloom a few feet away. Well, that was it. I never forgot that and I was sold. When I moved down here this past July, the first thing I did was buy a gardenia.
    Happy gardening!
    Lynne

• PeaBee4
    19 years ago

You could be right about the Winter Chill factor. That's the reason that lilacs don't bloom down in the zone 9. The bushes do just fine, but there isn't enough cool hours at night long enough for them to set buds. It could be that camellias are the same.

Sponsored
More Discussions