Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Unknown Leaf Condition

Posted by gardenrookie_2010 CA / 9b (My Page) on
Sun, Feb 7, 10 at 19:18

Hello Everyone,

About a year ago I bought a camellia sinensis to help spice up my patio. Since I got it, it's basically tripled in size. However, I fear now my lack of knowledge is killing it. In the last month it's gone from green to this. I'm not sure what i'm doing wrong. I'm a complete newb to all of this.

I've searched the internet and can't find a single picture that exactly matches this and I fear doing anything else may make the condition worse.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Unknown Leaf Condition

How long has the plant had this problem?

Did this happen just recently or a while back ago & the problem has since stabilized?

Have you looked underneath the leaves for pests?

Some aphids attack leaves by sucking up the leaf juices and causing some distortion, curling or crinkling of leaves. They prefer tender new young leaves. You can wash them with a strong water spray or a soapy-water mix.

o

It looks like what we get on our tea plants when we get a freeze, but your being in 9b, I doubt this is the case. I looks like it's on the older leaves, so I wouldn't worry too much about it, they may drop when the new growth starts coming on. Could it be sunburn? Perhaps you moved it, or it's light conditions changed? Just a thought, this may not be the case.

o

Gardenrookie, would you please take another picture in two weeks from the same general perspective plus a close-up picture of the one left hand, sort of upright leaf with some brown discoloration showing on it. In California one must be alert to Sudden Oak Wilt (Phytophthora ramorum) which affects Camellias. It may or may not be your problem but stay alert to the possibility.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Sun, Feb 14, 10 at 0:35

Sorry, no way is that any where close to sudden oak death.

More likely exposure to very bright light, even though that may have been for only a few hours.

o

There are many many many causes of leaf problems on Camellias. Some of them are caused by the pathogen Phytophthora. But there are lots of Phytophthora and not all of them are SOD, which is Phytophthora ramorum. One should not jump to conclusions that all leaf problems are SOD. If you do, then you are ignoring all the many other possibilities that you can probably fix.

o

my camellia is also losing its leaves but seems to have lots of new ones coming. So I will worry when its totally bare. The lost leaves are very healthy and green!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here