Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nanahanna_gw

Good site for camellias?

nanahanna
19 years ago

Would this site be good for growing camellias? It gets dappled sun morning and afternoon. You are looking east in this photo. If so, which variety? Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Nana

{{gwi:505600}}

Comments (10)

• CaseysMom
    19 years ago

Perfect!!

Now be sure to observe the law that says you have to plant TOO MANY of them!! (Wink!)

• nanahanna
    Original Author
    19 years ago

I have been struggling for 4 or 5 years to find something to put in this bed that would bring some color! I don't know why I haven't thought of camellias before! My MIL has several blooming around her place which is on our property. She is now in a nursing home, bless her heart and they are blooming up a storm. Ok, which ones? Sasanquas?

It is a huge bed as you can see but it needs to be fuller, right? LOL. Heh, heh...I can definitely handle "too many". Thanks!

Nana

• PeaBee4
    19 years ago

Sasanquas usually bloom much earlier than the japonicas. Do you know what colors you might like? You will be able to get quite a few in there. Just remember that they can get pretty big. Plant them near the back of your bed.
    You are realy going to enjoy them!!
    PB

• nanahanna
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks PB4. This bed is about 75 feet long....so how many would I need? I like just about every color. My azaleas in this bed are coral colored but the camellias will be gone by the time the azaleas bloom. I really love pinks too, but a burgundy would be pretty too. I don't know....give me some suggestions PLEASE! LOL.

Nana

• PeaBee4
    19 years ago

Decide if you want them up against the fence as part of a "screen" or spaced about to show off the individual plant. Sasanquas would do well backed up to the fence. For the other, buy one plant at a time. Go to a nursery and pick out the color that's pleasing to you. Don't crowd them. Remember that they like slightly acid soil which means that some of your other stuff, including roses, might not be happy.

• nanahanna
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Thanks PeaBee4! I will take your advice! I am not sure if I want them backing up the fence or displayed. I will think about it and look at both types of plants. Good idea!
    Don't azaleas like acidic soil? My azaleas are thriving in that bed.....so maybe the camellias will too. I think I will have the soil tested though to be sure before I invest that much money in plants. I guess I could ammend the soil if it is not acidic enough though, right?

Nana

• PeaBee4
    19 years ago

If azaleas like it, so will camellias. Don't worry.

• nanahanna
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Well, that settles it! I will be looking for camellias soon. My azaleas love it there. Thanks!

nana

• mairenn
    19 years ago

i would put sasanquas and japonicas in there to extend your bloom season. you could put taller ones along the fence - some of them are really good for espaliering - and then more compact ones in front. plus you could stagger them. and that way you could have more than one color scheme.

• nanahanna
    Original Author
    19 years ago

Good idea. How can I find out which ones are compact?

Thanks!
    Nanahanna

Sponsored
Landscape Management Group
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars27 Reviews
High Quality Landscaping Services in Columbus
More Discussions