Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
johncrthomas

Transplanting Camellias

johncrthomas
13 years ago

I plan to transplant a 5-foot Camellia, 'Gov. Mouton' in March. Has anyone attempted this in the Washington DC area or in Zone 7? The plant has been in the ground about 4 years. Your suggestions would be very helpful. Thanks in advance.

Comments (2)

• jamesmaloy
    13 years ago

I am surprised no one has responded so far. I can only give a little practical advise as I live in zone 8b. I would have already done transplanting if possible. But I do understand your conditions are way different from mine. But I would say Dig your new hole first amend soil if needed. When you dig get has many roots as possible. Have a tarp or something similar, to slide under rootball to keep it intact. Having another set of hands is always helpful. You may need a pry bar or a piece of 2x4 to pry under center of rootball. Once you have plant roots loose slide tarp under as much as possible with another set of hands you can lift one side of rootball to access other side so tarp is completely under then you can lift plant out set in will barrow or use tarp to slide plant to new location. I am sorry some of this may seem out of order. Several days before you plant to dig. water plant well slowly and deeply, this will help soil stay together better while digging and moving and repositioning. I have recently moved a large growing holly bush that I had only set out in a temporary location and took off like gangbusters so had to move already 8 feet high in 3 0r 4 years. So dug root ball and had to cut many roots. I had to use a 2x4 to pry up under the center of root ball because the shovel wouldn't let me reach any farther. But was able to slide tarp under and with help lift from the crater I'd dug move to an already prepared hole. I did some slight pruning to shape but ended up cutting off main leaders but it is such will make new ones quickly this summer. If you are able to get a goodly amount of roots and keep plant moist so it will not dry out you may not need to prune. But if you loose many roots prune to shape so you keep a balance of top to bottom. There are many other post on this site about moving camellias so read them and get a good idea of what you are doing and you should be successful. Good luck James Maloy

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Do not amend planting hole back-fill with organic matter or other textural modification materials like perlite or sand. This is an obsolete practice that began to be seen to be of no benefit, even counterproductive in test plots over 40 years ago.

Sponsored
Hope Restoration & General Contracting
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars35 Reviews
Columbus Design-Build, Kitchen & Bath Remodeling, Historic Renovations
More Discussions