Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting and air layering 12-15 foot camelias

Posted by kitchen4me (My Page) on
Sat, Feb 4, 06 at 22:36

A couple of years ago we bought and old home built around 1927 which has many huge Camelia's. There are about a half dozen overgrown ones at the front perimeter of the house which almost reach the second story windows. They are in the wrong place in poor condition full of scale etc.
Each winter they produce so many blooms the limbs can't support the weight. I have been advised by a garden person to just "rip them out". I feel they were here long before I was and would really like to save them. Any advice on how to transplant them would be greatly appreciated and how to air layer and when. Our property is almost 2 acres with lots of places to move them to. Thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting and air layering 12-15 foot camelias

The Japanese say, that a pruned well Camellia, it must allow the flight of a dove between the branches, without the wings touch the leaves.

I have transplanted old Camelias. It is not difficult. But it can be expensive. Better to leave them to be and to prune enough the branches, up to reducing the size.

In order that the "scale", does not continue attacking to your Camellias, it clarifies well his interior.

That your Camellias have a good ventilation. You are not to have afraid to cutting. Better to cut in the end moment of the flowering. Beside using the products adapted to eliminate what exists nowadays in your Camellias.

An example: The old Camellias who were bordering on the building of the " File of Indians " in Asturias, were pruned very loudly, to be able to work. Today, the Camellias are recovered but with many minor height.

Perdon for my evil english.
Regards.

Here is a link that might be useful: Forum Camellias AEC

o

Thank you for the information what wonderful pictures!

o

I have experience with doing this with no problem. Cut the Camelia back to a size you can manage. You could prune it this Spring, removing 1/3 of the height and thinning its density, then move it in the Fall to prepare it for the shock. Camelia roots are shallow. You wont need a huge root ball. Prepare a planting hole first, make the move quick and have the hose ready to water it in before and after backfill. Look for more planting info for the variety you are planting. Some Camelias are planted a bit high, others are planted at ground level. Call your local extension service and an arborist to discuss it with them first, also. Professional opinions are worth their weight in gold.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here