Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Best Time To Prune & How?

Posted by calpat zone9ab No.Ca. (My Page) on
Tue, Feb 15, 05 at 23:59

My Camellias are blooming beautifully right now & with long stems on flowers. The bushes are getting out of control as far as size goes, but I'm getting mixed signals about when to prune them and how. The blooming will be over about the end of Feb./March. Any suggestions as to where or who has the most legitimate instructions?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Best Time To Prune & How?

Camellias respond well to pruning, and now is getting to be the best time, as they finish blooming and prior to the flush of spring growth. You can find some good general guidelines on the link below. Click on "Camellia Q&A" and then "Growing Camellias." You will see a listing on the subject of pruning.

Here is a link that might be useful: American Camellia Society

o

• Posted by calpat zone9ab No.Ca. (My Page) on
    Fri, Feb 18, 05 at 14:17

Thanks so much for the links, they were all informative &helpful. CP

o

I have a large Camellia plant about seven or eight feet tall. I have delayed pruning too long and wish to learn how best to prune this plant. It is a healthy plant and has just completed flowering for this season. Please advise.

o

Prune to remove small/weak/dead branches or branches that cross. Prune to let some sunlight and air into the center of the bush. Prune to improve the look of the shrub in the garden, restore vigor or to create an espalier camellia.

Timing should be based on how much you are going to prune. If you are going to heavily prune (1/3 or 1/2), it is best to prune when the plant is dormant in winter (say, in February). Otherwise prune after blooming. The plant should recover quickly and begin vigorouos grwoth.

Future bloomage may or may not be affected by pruning. The one who makes the decision cannot speak so assume that the more you prune, the more this could reduce bloomage or stop it altogether for one growing season.

Prune limbs flush to the feeder branches without leaving lump where disease and insects can enter the plant. Use sharp clean pruners for the task.

If you want your camellia to grow larger than it currently is then just prune it back 1" inch or less. To stay a certain size, cut it back to a few inches l-e-s-s than the size you want.

To make the shrub grow fuller, pinch the ends when new growth starts leafing out.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here