Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
repotting

Posted by segask z10 so. cal coast (My Page) on
Tue, Mar 2, 10 at 0:40

I just bought Nuccio's Bella Rosa, Gem, Pearl, and Carter's Sunburst. They are all in 5 gal. nursery pots. I would like to put them in nice looking redwood pots. What size should the new pots be?

The 5 gal. black plastic nursery pots they are in now measure roughly 10.5 inches diameter by 12 inches tall.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: repotting

Don't go with too big a pot at one time, you run the risk of root rot or imbalanced watering.

It's safe to go to 12 inches diameter and use a fast draining mix, during repot, that will give you 30% more volume of soil, wash out old mix a bit and untangle the old circling roots. Make sure your nice looking pots has lots of drainage holes.

o

• Posted by segask z10 so. cal coast (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 3, 10 at 0:22

Thanks for the reply yellowthumb. :)

They are blooming right now. The three Nuccio's still have plenty of unopened buds. The Carter's Sunburst is almost done opening all its buds. Should I repot now, or wait till they are done blooming?

o

You should repot right after most of the flower buds are open, but right before the new growth.

For the sake of the tree, remove the flowers once they are open for a couple of days, this is to conserve energy. Hold on the fertilizer for now, fertilize slightly using an acid loving fert after flowering. Don't use too much. Once the new leaves are burnt, it will take two years for it to drop. Camellia only has two growth spurts each year.

After repot, put it into a shady location, make sure the humidity is high enough, not to stress the roots. This is the critical stage, Camellias can lose lots of leaves once stressed, that will take several years to grow back.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here