Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
gamecock43

Camellia size?

gamecock43
15 years ago

Hello everyone,

I am fairly new to gardening and am trying to find shrubs for the front of my new home. I live in Savannah ga and there are Camella plants in several of our parks and they are beautiful.

I am wondering, are Camella a shrub or a tree? Can they be pruned to be about 3 feet tall year round or do they grow a thick trunk system and eventually need to grow taller?

I guess I am wondering if this is a plant I can use for my front flower bed, or if it is really a tree and will eventually be inappropriate. I don't want to have to dig up or kill a plant off in a few years because of my ignorance.

Thanks in advance!

Comments (7)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    15 years ago

They can be large shrubs and will eventually form small trees (over a long time). You may be able to find slower growing, more spreading varieties that 'might' lend themselves to shearing -- maybe some sasanquas?

• gamecock43
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Thank you. After doing some research I decided the beautiful trees need to find a different spot on my property. :)

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

I am not sure how long you plan on keeping them but they can certainly last several hundred years if you provide adequate growing conditions.

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    15 years ago

Camellia sasanqua 'Bonanza' or maybe 'Chansonette' might work in your space with some shearing after a while. Those tend to grow wider rather than tall.

Otherwise there are many, many shrubs that would fit your space... maybe dwarf yaupon holly, pittosporum, Indian Hawthorn, some of the smaller euonymus, gardenia, Helleri holly, Softtouch holly, FirePower Nandina, Encore azaleas, Viburnum davidii or Vib. 'Conoy', dwarf crape myrtles, KnockOut roses, etc, etc. Also, depends on how much sun you have.

• IRuehl
    13 years ago

I just moved to Savannah GA too! I went with azaleas, and hydrangeas, big flower shows, good size without over taking the yard. Good luck!

• carolinamary
    13 years ago

>I guess I am wondering if this is a plant I can use for my front flower bed, or if it is really a tree and will eventually be inappropriate. I don't want to have to dig up or kill a plant off in a few years because of my ignorance.

Heimalis camellia 'Shishigashira' would work beautifully. It grows mostly sideways. We've had one for maybe 25 years and it's not yet two feet tall, but it has a nice horizontal full bushy structure. A beautiful plant with prolific blooming that goes on for about six weeks every year, even in the shade. We've bought 'Bonanaza' and 'Chansonette' for a similar kind of fairly low-growing use and have good expectations for them too, but I think 'Shishigashira' is the ultimate low grower in every way. It can make a nice little cheerful edging along a walkway too.

Best wishes,
    Mary

• ozzysboy
    12 years ago

Consider Mansize and/or Nuccio's Pearl, both of which have grown to about 4' for me over the past 15 years. Both are beautiful, reliable performers which are natural miniatures (not sure where the miniature/dwarf line is drawn).

Some varieties do grow large and can do so quickly--in my climate, most standard Japonicas hit the 20' mark in the 10/15 year time span, but I added the Mansize and Nuccio's Pearl when an overzealous landscaper skirted my Coaster's Blue Spruce. No problem growing the camellias to hide the tree's knees and I couldn't be happier with their bloom each spring.

-eric

Sponsored
ANF Kitchen & Bath
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Innovative & Creative Kitchen & Bath Designers Servicing VA
More Discussions