Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Is this Nuccio's Cameo? (photos)

This plant is tagged Nuccio's Cameo and I'm sure of it because it is still in the nursery pot(!). These photos are all of the same flower, taken over several days and the last photo is the tag on the pot. To me, this flower just doesn't look like other photos of the Nuccio's Cameo flower. Nuccio's Cameo is supposed to be a formal double. This looks peony form. What do you think?

Nuccio's Cameo on the ACS website is linked below for comparison.

Thanks so much for the help,

Carol

{{gwi:506393}}

{{gwi:506396}}

{{gwi:506399}}

{{gwi:506402}}

{{gwi:506405}}

{{gwi:506408}}

Here is a link that might be useful: American Camellia Society - Nuccio's Cameo

Comments (7)

• luis_pr
    13 years ago

I am not familiar with that one so I would call Nuccios at (626) 794-3383 and see if they can answer the question. Sometimes, new shrubs will produce flowers that change as the shrub ages but this could also be a case of mislabeled plants.

I have purchased in years past a Nikko Blue Hydrangea that turned out to be a lacecap hydrangea & a yellow rose Lady Banks that turned out to be a white Lady Banks.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I don't mind too much on a cheap plant/annual/perinneal but on a $30+ collector/specimen plant... well, that shouldn't happen. This one will go back.

Carol

• carolinamary
    13 years ago

Hi Carol,

This looks like japonica camellia 'Marie Bracey' aka 'Spellbound' to me. It's a wonderful camellia that slowly builds into a beautiful well-filled out shrub that's as wide or wider than it is tall. The buds aren't quite as hardy as Professor Sargent but much hardier than many. This variety is carried by the big box stores around here - places that also have a heavy tendency toward mislabeling plants. But nevermind, you're going to love this plant unless you are in a big hurry for something quite vigorously large and upright.

The Marie Bracey shrub looks really good in the yard, whether it's in or out of bloom. We have a bunch of them, and some bloom in much more shade than they ideally ought to have. They all stay healthy and just look good with no great care, other than some water during a drought.

I hope you enjoy yours!

Best wishes,
    Mary

Here is a link that might be useful: 'Marie Bracey' camellia

• carolinamary
    13 years ago

Carol, you posted while I was writing my response so I didn't know of your disappointment with the plant. Of course, if you don't like semi-doubles/peony forms, then it would be a good idea to take what you bought right back to whoever sold you the mislabled plant.

If you actually do like the looks of the flower, and just wish to own only plants whose identity you're sure of, then I wish I'd posted my opinion more strongly. I'm really quite sure as to the identity of your plant, as sure as anyone can ever be without seeing the plant up close and in person when blooming. Your pictures are dead ringers for our Marie Braceys/Spellbounds, right down to the minute texture on the petals. Your pictures are actually closer to what we see here every year in our Marie Baceys than the picture at the American Camellia Society that I posted, as a matter of fact. (Their picture failed to capture the petal texture well.)

It's an outstanding camellia if you happen to like the form.

Best wishes,
    Mary

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    12 years ago

Mary, thank you so much for all of your help. I appreciate the time you took to give me so much information. I did end up keeping the plant as I couldn't find the receipt.

I found more interesting evidence when I planted it in the ground. There were BOTH a plastic stake plant label, stuck inside the rim of the pot, and a wrap-around loop label around the trunk of the plant and they EACH said "Nuccio's Cameo"! So this plant was once, twice, three times mislabeled. I wonder how many others were potted and sold mislabeled from the same wholesaler? Hmmmmmmm...

It does have a pretty bloom. It has tons of new growth since I put it in the ground and it seems very happy.

Mary, thank you again for your expert help. I appreciate your taking the time!

Carol

• Goose1351
    11 years ago

Positive it isn't Nuccio's Cameo. Nuccio's Cameo is a formal double.

• luis_pr
    11 years ago

I just back from Lowes and it found this post funny because I was looking at a Kanjiro that had a very light pink bloom still on it as well as a another camellia whose name escapes me; it still had a pink bloom but all the plant labels had pictures of a white camellia whose petals did not resemble the ones in the bloom I was seeing. Talk about mislabeling. I do not blame Lowes as they got it from a wholesaler but still... Reminds me of a "mophead" Nikko Blue Hydrangea I once bought that "gives" lacecaps blooms instead. Ha! And then there was a "yellow" Lady Banks Rose that "blooms" white flowers. Oh brother. Oh mee.... LOL!

Sponsored
Longhouse Architects
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars4 Reviews
Loudoun County's Prominent Architecture Firm Creating Cohesive Designs
More Discussions