Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
crazymommaj

New to Camellias

crazymommaj
10 years ago

I am very uneducated when it comes to gardening so I'm looking for advice. I've experimented with air layering on a plant that I've seen near my parents home for years. I've identified it now as a Camellia.

I removed one of the experimental cuttings in November and planted it in a pot. It had a root ball on it but no hanging roots. In reading about Camellias someone had said to mix sand into the soil. We live in a sandy place so I gathered some and mixed with my potting soil.

I removed the second cutting just the other day (March) and it had what appeared to be a very nice root system. I also planted it in a pot. This time with no sand.

Then I looked back at the first experimental planting and was concerned that I hadn't really seen any growth since planting it in November. So I prepared another pot and moved it into the new pot using the same soil as with the cutting I had just made. In doing so I noticed the root ball still there but still no roots growing. The leaves are more of a yellowish green than the newer cutting that I just planted.

Could it be the soil? I used Osmocote potting soil.

They are planted in large plastic pots that I have drilled holes into the bottom for drainage. I had read somewhere that you could mix leaves in with the soil so having lots of leaves laying around I gave that a try. Not sure if it helped or hurt. Now that they have been planted for a few days and I've given it more thought, I'm wondering if maybe I used the wrong type of soil or if there is something else I should mix into the soil to help. I sure would hate to see the newer one take a turn for the worse because I did something wrong. And am wondering if there is something I need to do for the other one in order for it to grow.

Any advice is appreciated.

Comments (2)

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES
More Discussions