Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
flowery_gw

late frost - protecting camelias

flowery
17 years ago

Hi I'm new here and hoping someone can give me some advice.

I have a double Camellia bush that very much resembles the photo on the Camellia message board page on this forum.

Here's the thing, I decided to go against the norm when I planted this particular camellia, instead of close to the house like most I planted it at the edge of my yard. It seemed to be the best thing 'cause it grew 85% faster than the single camellia bush I planted next to the house.

But the problem is, as you know in NC we have late frosts as we will tonight and maybe tomorrow night. The bush is now so large I have a hard time protecting it each year. I feel somewhat obligated to save the blooms since I found out years ago my Camellia bush has been the talk of the community, and I would very much disappoint many if the blooms turn brown. I've even had strangers pull into my yard and ask to photograph the bush, so you see it's become more than just saving a loved bush for me, I feel the pressure from the community to keep the blooms from browning, and it's chocked full of buds and blooms now.

We are thinking of using the lift on my husbands box truck to reach the top and cover the majority with something, but what? A sheet maybe?

Or could I just squirt it with water in the morning before sunrise?

Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Comments (2)