Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Camellia Id?

Posted by skhaire 7b/8a (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 30, 14 at 11:11

Got this camellia which we still have to plant in ground. What camellia is this and how tall and wide does it grow? Will it survive sun or does have to be in shade?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Camellia Id?

It appears to be a japonica, which prefers morning sun and afternoon shade. I am not good at guessing exact variety names so try the link below if someone does not chime in. Where did you get it?

Here is a link that might be useful: American Camellia Society Link

o

I agree with Luis that it looks like a japonica camellia, and they generally like some shade. Almost all camellias can get to be the size of a small tree, but they are fairly slow-growing, and can be kept smaller by pruning.

The flower in your photo is a formal double shape. Some camellias are sneaky and have more than one bloom shape, so attempting an ID from just one flower can be tricky.

Three camellias that I know of with red formal double flowers are 'April Kiss', 'April Rose' and 'Pope Pius IX' AKA 'Prince Eugene Napoleon'. Usually, 'Pope Pius' has a larger flower, but with this cold winter almost all blooms are a bit smaller this year, so I wouldn't rule that out. I'm sure there are other red formal doubles that it could be.

You may want to wait until your plant stops blooming before you plant it- often the stress of planting can cause the buds to drop off. It won't hurt the plant if you put it in the ground now- don't plant it too deep!- but it may stop blooming early.

Good luck!

o

Did you ever get it identified?
I was thinking Camellia japonica 'Mathotiana'
Just my two cents.
Darren

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here