Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
thomis

What's happening here?

thomis
15 years ago

Greetings friends,

I am attaching a foto of a bush in my yard that I believe to be a Camellia. We moved into this house in June 2005. The bush has been healthy every year since, and blooms brilliantly in November with hundreds of pink flowers. People often stop and ask what it is and I never knew what to say until a friend came over and told me it was a Camellia. We just recently noticed the dead or dying growth at the top of the tree. Does anyone know what it is and can I do anything about it?

{{gwi:506513}}

Comments (10)

• Dave in NoVA • N. Virginia • zone 7A
    15 years ago

Where do you live? What was your lowest temp this winter? Looks like winter burn.

• thomis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

I live in central North Carolina. Our lowest temp was 8 F. And thats not normal for us. Uusally our low is 15. Should I cut it out of the bush?

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

The area in the vicinity of the shrub looks dry to me but it is hard to tell. For example, grass in my zone 7B has leafed out giving a greenish color to my surroundings. In the picture, the grass looks yellow but I cannot tell if that is due to lack of moisture or because it has not leafed out yet and remains winter dormant. The way to tell for sure would be to insert a finger into the ground to a depth of 4" and see how it feels. If it feels moist then it is ok. If it feels dry then water it. Dead or dried out branches can be pruned at any time, thomis. Since large areas of NC are officially in drought, I would also extend the mulch to the drip line if you can afford it. It will help you maintain the soil moisture for longer periods.

• thomis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

Luis pr,

Thanks for the response. I just went out and check the soil to 4", it is not dry and not wet. We have had a fairly wet winter and the soil in my yard tends to hold water anyway. The grass is just now starting to come alive. I'll prune out the dead growth. So it appears that its winterkill?

15 years ago

Could be the leaves are fried, but the twigs are still alive. I wouldn't prune anything until it leafs out this Spring.

• thomis
    Original Author
    15 years ago

??????? it is leafed out. that picture was taken 3 days ago. someone on another forum suggested fireblight. if the leaves are indeed fried, what fries leaves??

• jeff_al
    15 years ago

i think dave is saying "fried" to mean "burn", as in winter burn. it seems logical since the affected area is the upper, exposed portion of the shrub. a temp that low which frosted/froze the leaves, combined with early morning sunshine, can damage the foliage and flowers. you can wait to see if it recovers with new growth before removing them. there are dormant buds along the stems which can grow if the branch is still alive.

• jean001
    15 years ago

When the post referred to "when it leafs out," I suspect the reference is to "when the new growth leafs out."

Beyond that, here's the link to your question about fireblight or not.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/camellia/msg0310233525253.html?4

Here is a link that might be useful: your post about fireblight or not

15 years ago

Yes, I meant don't prune anything until 'the new growth comes out'.

I realize it's an evergreen.

• camelliatea
    15 years ago

It could possibly be a borer. They burrow into limbs and twigs and cut off nutrients and moisture from the point of insertion upwards. Also could be a disease called dieback.
    I would find the part of the plant that is affected and look at the limbs - see if there is any evidence of borders - small pin like holes or if it's a type of disease or fungus, you will notice cracks and lesions on the limbs below the damage. Sometimes cold damage (if it applies to you) could cause problems like this - there again, I'd check the limbs to see if you notice anything different

Sponsored
Capri Home Renovations
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars33 Reviews
Reputable Home Renovation Company Serving Northern Virginia
More Discussions