Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Transplanting 40yo Camilla

Posted by Opening_Night 7,MD (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 12, 05 at 11:54

I'm moving from the Washington, D.C. area to Little Rock, AR. My Mom planted a pink one 40 years ago. I've cared for her ever since. Last fall I pruned her back from 10' to bout 5'. She needed it, and new bud set. Yea! But now I'm moving. Do I leave her or should I take her?

Jimmy

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Transplanting 40yo Camilla

If it were me I would try to take her. She may not survive but I think it is worth a try.

I have neighbors who have 40 and 50 year old camellias in thier yards and they don't know or appreciate what they have.

Better to try to take it with you than leave it somewhere that they might just whack it down anyway.

Check with one of the camellia societies to see if they can give some expert advice on how to do it.

Here is a link that might be useful: ask an expert

o

Moving a large camellia plant from DC to Arkansas will take a lot of skill and work, and unless you do it now, it may be too late (they don't move well in the spring and summer). An alternative to moving the entire plant is to make some air layers on a few limbs. Its simple and fun. A link is posted below, but it basically entails removing a ring of bark around a smaller limb, wrapping the wound in damp sphagnum moss to allow a root ball to form, then cutting it off in a few months after it has rooted out. (That limb will become your new plant.) You just pot it up, and then replant in Arkansas or leave it in the container. Nuthintoit.

Here is a link that might be useful: Air Layering instructions

o

• Posted by Ron_B USDA 8 WA (My Page) on
    Wed, Mar 16, 05 at 12:06

Propagate from air layers or cuttings and leave the rest behind.

o

OH Forrest.....you must be a camellia lover...this is my first time browsing this forum and I see you all over the place....(I see you alot over at alabama forum too)....question....when is the best time to start this air layering thing...sounds like fun!!! if i jsut had a camellia to try it on!!!!

o

Camellias are fairly rare in the DC area, so if you leave it where it is you may want to put a label on it (such as "Camellia Japonica") for the new owner. Just a thought.

o

I have a camellia in a suburb of DC. I am going to attempt to transplant it. But I am not sure I can do it. I have been putting it off but need to make room for a porch. I would give this to someone who was willing to help dig it up. it is 5' tall and has white blooms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here