Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lindseyliz

Moving 2 GIANT Camellias...

lindseyliz
17 years ago

My husband and I just bought a 60 year old home in Atlanta and there are 2 enormous Camellias in our yard. There is one in the front and it's so large it takes up half of the front of our home. And the other is right smack in the center of our back yard. The one in the back is about 15-20ft tall and the one in the front is about 10-12ft tall. We hate to just get rid of them, but they are so obtrusive we can't leave them where they are. We would love to be able to move them, but don't know how. Can anyone help? I will take pictures and post them later. They are enormous! My Mom lives in Texas and nearly had a fit when I told her we had these! Thanks for the help!

We are in gardening mode...so any info on transplanting these would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks...Lindsey

Comments (4)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

I'd suggest that you should not do this on your own. Especially since you've had no experience and are relying on directions from this message board. YIKES! No offense to the terrific folks (experts, some of them!) who frequent these boards, but this is one of those situations where you (the camellia owner) needs to have some first hand experience. It would be like me calling my doctor to get directions about how to remove my husband's appendix. ;-)

You could call your local extension office for some assistance. Perhaps there are some master gardeners who need to work on their volunteer points and can come and take a look-see. You might also get some suggestions about who to call from them, too.

I've also attached a link to Camellia associations, and if you look, there is one in Atlanta. I'd make that phone call.

I will also suggest to you that if you make a concerted effort to get some professional assistance in moving these plants and cannot find anyone to help you, that you should not feel guilty about removing them. This is your property to do with as you wish, and you should be able to make full use of the yard. Yes, it would be a terrible shame to lose such mature camellias, but it would also be a shame for you to be 'held hostage' by plants! Do you understand what I mean?

Transplanting these camellias is very possible, if done VERY soon. The window of opportunity is closing for this season. It's my opinion that you need the assistance of professionals or experts.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do.

Here is a link that might be useful: Scroll down to the Atlanta chapter

• stevebrickley
    17 years ago

You are in the state that is the home of the American Camellia Society ("ACS")headquarters. So, your resources are wonderful. You can reach ACS in Fort Valley, Georgia at 478-967-2358. Alternately, call Gene at his Camellia Nursery in Savannah, Georgia at 912-355-7361. I have more resources if you need them.

• agnespuffin
    17 years ago

Commercial nurseries have big Tree Spades that can handle good sized trees. It may cost a bundle, but I am sure it can be done. However, you need to be sure that you have a proper place to replant them or you will have wasted your money.

You can also prune them severely. It will take years for them to reach that size again.

• birdinthepalm
    17 years ago

This is an area way beyond my experience , since I've not researched how well camellias transplant in general, even for very small easily moved ones. I do know some plants are notoriouslly sensitive to transplanting , no matter how carefully its' done, but I'd guess with proper care success could be very possible. I'd add as well, if you have sufficient time, you might consider prior prepartions for moving them perhaps a year in advance or longer, since some trees and shrubs are root pruned far in advance of transplanting, so much more compact and well branched rootballs are developed in advance of moving the plants. I'd guess, that could help, if you have the time and don't mind the extra effort involved. Not sure that technique is used though in the case of moving camellias however?

Sponsored
Industry Leading Landscape Contractors in Franklin County, OH
More Discussions