Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
R.L. Wheeler - how big does it get?

Posted by fishbabe (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 26, 08 at 14:37

I acquired 4 RL Wheeler camillias this weekend..straight from Wheeler's nursery even. :-)

Does anyone know how large this variety gets? I have 2 good places to plant them but depending on the size one will be better than the other. Thanks!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: R.L. Wheeler - how big does it get?

We have a camellia believed to be R. L. Wheeler. It is about 7 feet tall and about 5 feet in diameter. It was here when we moved into the house 10 years ago so don't know how old it is. Most Camellias will get large over a period of years. Most advise spacing 8 feet apart. One gent I know who is in his 80's has spaced his much closer as his lot is small. He said they should not outgrow the space in his lifetime! Enjoy your camellias. They are wonderfully carefree plants and flowers are so beautiful.

Do you have a local Camellia Club near you? If so you might seek their advice or try American Camellia Society on line.

o

One source that I checked stated that your camellia gets 10 to 12 feet high and 3 to 10 feet wide at maturity. Maturity usually means around 10 years. The problem with that statement is that some camellias can exceed 100 years!

o

It's good to know this. I just got one and hope to put it in the ground soon. It's incredibly beautiful! This is a variegated one (obviously). The blooms are at least 5" wide.

R.L. Wheeler, var.

o

thanks for the info y'all. I have the varigated as well, it really is lovely! :-)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here