Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
wynswrld98

Herme Camellia: annual growth rate? mature height/width?

Wayne Reibold
16 years ago

I just bought a Herme Camellia from ForestFarm.com -- it's thin and only about 12-18" tall. Anyone grow this variety and know the annual growth rate on the Herme? I'll have them on a drip system for the summer. If anyone has info on mature height/width I'd love to hear about that too. Thanks!

Comments (5)

• forrestal
    16 years ago

Herme is my very favorite camellia japonica, and hence I have 3 of them scattered about the property. It is a very rewarding camellia to own. It is one of the few fragrant japonicas. It has beautiful colors with a splashy pink center, yellow stamens, and white edges. It sports a lot, having produced many mutations that are now named varieties of their own. So you may walk out someday and find a surprise. It blooms dependably despite occasional freezes. It is a proven variety over hundreds of years. It makes beautiful waxed blooms, if you ever decide to try it -- fun. And it has a storied history from Japan where it originated and where its name is 'Hikarugengi' meaning Dancing Genji, as it was named after an elegant Japanese prince. Another feature of Herme is that it has a vertical growth habit, almost straight up, not spreading, so it doesn't require a lot of room. The growth rate is, as with most camellias, slow at first. As it gets larger and stronger in its maturity, you will see some of the strongest new shoots grow 6-8 inches a year, usually on the very top center. Most people, however, keep it pruned as a shrub, so it is rare to see one at full height. My largest one is kept at about 8 feet, as that is the height I can reach with lopping sheers while standing on my ladder. It is about 50 years old. I do know of one on some adjacent property which has not been pruned in many years, and now stands about 15 feet tall, but it is in poor health. If healthy and allowed to grow to full height it may, I guess, someday reach 20 feet or higher. But it would take a lifetime to reach that height so I doubt you will ever find the growth rate to be a serious problem. And it is my guess that you will want to collect the blooms, so you probably will want to keep it pruned within reach. Congratulations on a wonderful choice, one of the all-time classics.

• forrestal
    16 years ago

Here is a photo of my 'Herme' in bloom:

{{gwi:507306}}

• Wayne Reibold
    Original Author
    16 years ago

wow! can you compare the fragrance of it to any other flower you've smelled?

• forrestal
    16 years ago

I cannot describe it, except that it is a sweet fragrance, only very mild. That is more than can be said for most other camellia blooms, which rarely have any fragrance at all. This one just has that little extra bonus.

• luis_pr
    16 years ago

Do you have a picture of the 8-feet tall Herme Camellia shrub/tree, forrestal? Wow! I would like to see that.

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting
More Discussions