Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
love_the_yard

Need Tea Scale Mix/Recipe

I see lots of references on the web to getting rid of tea scale but none of them gives a specific mix. Can anyone tell me the exact ingredients and quantities I should put in my pump sprayer? I have about 8 camellias to hit. I know to do it on a cool, overcast day so that I don't burn the leaves. But I'm not sure exactly what chemicals to use or in what amounts. I have probably all of them - (malathion, fine oil, etc.), I just don't know how much to use.

Would you please give me the mix?

Thanks!

Carol

Comments (3)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Tea scale responds very well to treatment with any number of horticultural oils. Each brand and formulation will come with its own labeling, which you must follow carefully. We can't help you with that...you have to read the label.

If, for some reason, the label has come off of the container, then you'll need to let us know the brand name of the product, and the exact formulation. It is pretty easy to find the labels on line if you have name and strength of the product.

Oil applications need to be directed to the UNDERSIDE of the leaves, where most of the tea scale are.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    Original Author
    13 years ago

I thought you needed to use two products in the sprayer: one for soft bodies and one for hard bodies - an oil plus something else??

Yeah, I know about the undersides. Know that other people may need that reminder though.

I just want someone to give me the PRODUCT/BRAND NAME and the AMOUNT for a one-gallon tank sprayer. I could google and read and figure it out. But just don't want to reinvent the wheel if someone has a recipe (including brand name) handy.

(If I end up figuring it out on my own, I will post it to save others the time. Will be very grateful and appreciative if someone posts it for me.)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

Carol, the product you use is dependent upon what is being sold by your favorite garden center or big box store. Or what you already have in your 'arsenal'. Each will have its own specific directions on its label. There are hundreds of such products and hundreds of different directions. And no inventing the wheel required, thankfully. The directions are pretty fool proof.

I am not attached to any particular brand of horticultural oil. I always keep some neem oil on hand, as well as whatever brand of other horticultural oil I happen to lay my hands on when I need it. Be watchful of temperature restrictions when making your selection.

If you are looking for a home remedy, I can't help you there. I've seen too much plant damage from such products. And you'll find 50 different recipes from 50 different folks! Seriously.

Oil applications (no matter what kind) have been recommended for most kinds of scale insects, and two different chemicals are not needed. It's the physical smothering that does the trick.

IF the labels have come off of products you have at home, then you may be in trouble. Mixing proportions are dependent upon how much (percentage) of the actual active ingredient is in the product. Or, if you need help interpreting a label, just holler! They can sometimes be confusing.

Dorie (my email can be found on "My Page".

Sponsored
Premier Home Services, Inc
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars19 Reviews
Loudoun County Complete Turn-Key Contracting Solutions
More Discussions