Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Fast-Growing-Trees.com Camellia? (time sensitive!)

Posted by cfox248 3 (My Page) on
Mon, Mar 24, 14 at 16:26

Hey all!

I'm noticing that fast-growing-trees.com has a 50% off sale going on right now. I've already got an order from them waiting to ship to me (currently too cold here) and I'm really considering adding a Camellia to that list as long as it's on sale - and that sale ends at midnight, so I don't have long to make a decision!

Has anybody bought a Camellia from them before? What kind is it - obviously a Camellia but there are different varieties, and it doesn't state on the site. The camellia would be grown in a pot and pruned to be kept small indoors for the winter, because here we have more winter than summer . Would this be an okay variety for that?

thanks everyone! I drink tea like a fiend so this would be a great way to support my own habit.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Fast-Growing-Trees.com Camellia? (time sensitive!)

If you're planning to make tea from the leaves, you'll want a Camellia sinensis. Most ornamental camellias such as Camellia japonica won't be much good as a provider of tea leaves. The only 4 camellias I saw listed at the FGT site were ornamental types, and not tea camellias.

I've seen the fast-growing trees web site before, but don't know anything about the quality of their plants.

o

It's right here:

http://www.fast-growing-trees.com/Camellia-sinensis-Tea-Plant.htm

They do have a warranty on that particular plant for 3 dollars - a one year, if it dies we refund you warranty. Maybe I'll give it a go... I've never ordered from them, but they seem to have alright reviews, nothing majorly awful

o

I guess I missed it. If you ordered it, I hope it will be fine- probably it will be, but my understanding is that one plant won't supply enough leaves for tea. You may want to take a few cuttings from your plant to propagate more plants, and/or you might want to try growing plants from seed.

Camellia Forest in NC sells both plants and seeds if you're interested in having more than just one. The link to their web site is below.

Good luck!

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia Forest link

o

I plan to propegate with cuttings for sure. I live in a smallish Duplex - I thought I'd start with one big plant, and have a few cuttings growing. That way when I move to a bigger property and can have tons of plants they'll be starting to get bigger.

I also do plan to order from Camellia Forest when I have some more space, to get one of the tree-like Camellias instead of the shrub style. (Don't remember the type off hand.)

I will update when the plants arrive as to its condition and some pictures in case anybody in the future has the same question :)

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here