Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need some help after experiment in zone 6

Posted by nikkie_in_toronto (My Page) on
Thu, Mar 10, 11 at 16:54

I am actually in Cleveland Ohio and tried various cold hardy varieties listed for zone 6. I have had mixed results. Those spring blooming hardy types that I wraped or covered with a piece of burlap seem to be fine and buds are quite healthy looking. The fall bloomers, that I planted, and didnt cover or wrap, assuming they were slightly hardier, are burned and or defoliated. (Lesson learned to cover) That said, the stem tissue is still green on all plants. Can a camellia recover from defoliation in the manner in which a holly or magnolia grandiflora can? Thank you for your help!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need some help after experiment in zone 6

They can recover but it may take a while for them to leaf out. I would leave them alone (prune dead wood around late May or so) and simply maintain soil moisture and keep them well mulched. Not sure how holly or magnolia recover though; it is too warm here to have that problem.

o

luis pr.. Thank you for the information. I'm hoping they will recovery because the stem tissue appears very much alive. Once and a while, this far north, some hollies and magnolia granfilora will burn and defoliate in severe winters, but they recover completely.

o

I have had recently planted camellias killed to the ground by cold and then come back from the roots months later. I would leave it alone unless you need to fill in the place right away for aesthetic reasons.

o

I have the fall blooming variety "Snow Flurry" and it has proven to be very hardy here, with absolutely no problems of dieback or leaf burn. I've had it for about 10 years now and it always performs. A few hundred blooms are normally produced, and it blooms from mid-October into December, but the season may be short if the weather gets cold early. Then the remaining buds won't get a chance to open. But the vegetative growth is totally hardy. The only problem is keeping it sheared now and then so it doesn't overrun the area!

I also have 4 spring bloomers. Two each of "April Blush" and "April Dawn". They do fine. One of the Blush is about 10 years old and died almost to the ground in the severe winter of 2003-2004 (Jan 2004 was brutal!). I left it alone and in June of that year I finally saw a tiny green speck almost down to the ground on 2-inch-thick wood. Right now it's about 5 feet tall and 3.5 feet wide. It has about 60 buds and the first one opened today. So don't be too quick to give up, and cut back ONLY where you are sure the wood is dead (by scraping the bark - if there's any green at all, leave it alone).
Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here