Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Oh no! Bella Rosa in Trouble!

Posted by donnabaskets 7b-8 MS (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 28, 10 at 18:00

Ack! My brand new Bella Rosa and Tami look dreadful. The leaves are "thinning" and beginning to brown. I assure you they are not dry. I prepared the soil very well, with a generous helping of peat moss in each hole. And, I added well rotted manure (judiciously). I cannot, for the life of me figure out what's wrong. Any thoughts? I will cry if I lose these plants...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Oh no! Bella Rosa in Trouble!

If you have clay soil and dig a deep hole and add amendments, you'll likely create a 'bathtub' effect. Poorly drained soil can rot Camellia roots. In clay soil, plant high and mulch the surface. Camellias are native to hilly Asian forests. In forests, there's typically a surface layer of rotted organic matter(humus).

o

I have lost plants to the bathtub effect and no longer amend the soil except for perennials and some roses.
I would lift the plant and only use native sol. Plant it high and mulch with pine straw.

o

I did both of these things at planting, though I did mix in peat and manure, as I have done for every single one of the other 18 to 20 camellias I have. These were both good suggestions. I went out and checked to see if the plants had settled to ground level. They do not appear to have. I scraped away the little bit of soil that was over the root ball. We'll see. They don't look worse for now.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here