Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Need to know how to prevent flower botrytis on Satin Doll

Posted by alexis z8FL (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 17, 07 at 18:18

I have a camellia called Satin Doll. Does anyone know if it is a registered hybrid? Also, the flowers tend to get botrytis easilly if they get at all wet. Is there any way to keep this from happening to the flowers or do I have to cover the flowers whenever it might rain. That might be a problem since I do work during the day and might not be able to cover them if it rains suddenly where I live.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Need to know how to prevent flower botrytis on Satin Doll

Are you sure that it is botrytis, or the much more common Camellia flower blight (Ciborinia camelliae)? I actually suspect the latter, but will wait until you respond.

(Either way, covering your plants up makes no sense. Thank goodness, right?)

o

If it is Camellia flower blight, is there any products that I can use to stop it? Also, the flowers never touched the ground. I looked at some pictures and it looks like Camellia flower blight.

o

The spores of the disease travel very far by wind and can be splashed up to a plant by rain drops. The fruiting body of the mature fungus (in the ground) also ejects spores fairly far distances, making infection of nearby plants a sure thing. Those spores overwinter (in the soil) and reinfect camellias the following year.

After your plant is finished flowering, remove all of the spent blooms and rake away all of the debris from around the plant, including the old mulch. Replace the mulch, of course, with fresh material.

There is quite a bit of information about the chemical control of Camellia flower blight (on the internet). You will need to spray the ground with a product that will KILL the fungus, as well as spray your plant with something that can PROTECT against infection. I'll leave that for you to check out.

However, there is much research that indicates that Neem oil applications can do a great deal to help control this and other diseases.

Remind you, the 'housekeeping' practices are critical, however. Chemicals won't be useful unless you do that, first and foremost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here