Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Digging up baby camellias from under bush..

Posted by trailrunner AL 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Mar 9, 11 at 18:32

I have never posted here before. I have a very large camellia and it had 6 " babies" under it. I dug them up the other day and potted them. When I looked to see about propagation of camellias it said that seeds don't give a true color. I had to use a large lopper to separate one of the plants from the mother so I know it is the same and was layered w/o me doing it formally...my good luck. Now what will the other 6 be ? Will they bloom or will they be a different color ? Any help appreciated. c

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Digging up baby camellias from under bush..

If the other 5 grew off the Mother Plant as well then they should be the same color. Otherwise, give them time and see what happens.

o

Thank you luis. I had a friend look at the seedlings and he said " wait and see a couple years ! " So that is what I will do. c

o

You may be waiting much longer than two years to see blossoms on your camellia seedlings. It's not uncommon for seedlings to take ten or more years before producing their first flower buds. Even after producing its first flowers, a camellia seedling may take another year or two to produce its first typical blossom. In other words, the flowers produced during the first couple of blooming seasons may be atypical. Seedlings are sometimes similar to the mother plant, sometimes entirely different. A lot of our seedlings are children of 'Lady Vansittart.' Some of them are white with candy-cane, carmine stripes like Mommer. Some of them are pure white. So far, all of them are attractive and garden-worthy. The oldest one has been growing since sometime in the early nineties, but it took about ten years to begin a showy blooming cycle.

o

You could always use the seedlings to graft known varieties to if you have the skill (not hard to find out on the web). Maybe someone you know has a nice variety that is hard to find. Ask permission to cut a scion and graft to your seedling rootstock. It will develop faster than a rooted cutting.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here