Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Find 2 names

Posted by minflick 7b USDA 9 SUNSET% (My Page) on
Sun, Mar 13, 11 at 19:02

I was at a nursery in Paradise, CA yesterday. There were 2 camellias planted outside the gift shop. 1st one was a peony flower - somewhat ruffly outer petals with lots and lots of fine petals in the inner 4/5ths of the bloom - white with medium pink picotee. Just gorgeous. 2st one was, as a newly opened bloom, single, almost a coral/pink red with a ton of brilliant yellow stamens. As the flower aged, it turned a bluish mauve. These were well established plants, about 6 feet tall and 5-6 feet wide, on the north side of a building up in the Sierra Foothills that had 2-3 of snow 2 weeks ago, and gets pretty close to 100 a lot in the summer.

I was told that one was Mrs. DW Davis, and the other was Julia Drake. Naturally enough, searching online finds nothing that looks like the plants and blooms I saw under those names. This is intensely frustrating, and I WANT them....

Melinda

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Find 2 names

You may have to get assistance from a local nursery to locate a wholesaler and then special order them. DW is an old camellia from the 70s. Aside from the original, there are several versions out there: Mrs. D. W. Davis Descanso is a full peony sport of the original; Mrs. D. W. Davis Peony is a loose peony sport; Mrs. D. W. Davis Special has double the number of petals.

I do not recognize Julia Drake but there are other Julias out there. Because we are all human and the name could have been typo'ed, try to view a picture of the blooms before you pay.

Nuccio's Nursery in Altadena (626) 794-3383 might be able to help.

o

I was thinking I should get back up there and take pictures to help me hunt. Sigh. PITA!

o

I am not sure if I have been to Altadena, CA before (I did get lost a few times driving in L.A.) but I am sure I would end up with too many camellias in the car if I had stopped at Nuccios. LOL!

o

Luis, you said it! That is so true; I would, too!!

Carol

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here