Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Camellia won't bloom

Posted by JenniferAG none (My Page) on
Sat, Mar 19, 11 at 20:45

The Camellia Japonica that I planted three years ago won't bloom. It looks quite healthy, and every year it develops a lot of buds. However, the buds turn brown and fall off before opening. My home is in southern zone 8. The Camellia in question is planted in a shady corner of the backyard, quite close to a young Camellia Sasanqua, which flowers profusely each year. Not sure if maybe the non-blooming Camellia is being crowded by the larger Camellia and that could be causing it not to bloom? Any help would be much appreciated...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Camellia won't bloom

Some very common causes of camellia bud drop are weather related. Wild temperature swings and lack of constant or uniform soil moisture can trigger these. One shrub can withstand them better than others so proximity may not be a problem but too much shade might make the plant more sensitive to problems like temperature wings, periods of dry-wet soil, soil that does not drain well, or even problems with the camellia bud mite (spray with a miticide if there is evidence of pests), etc.

So basically, when a plant is stressed by one those factors, you can have bud drop. Since your problem occurs regularly, evaluate which one (ones?) of these factors is contributing to the problem and take appropriate action.

I would not place the camellia too close to the other one. Maybe keep them 3-4 feet away.... depending on whether you are trying to build a hedge and things like that.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here