Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
camellias1_roses2

Some Spring Color

camellias1_roses2
17 years ago

I thought that I would share some of my recent photos of camellias that are currently flowering in my gardens. For those interested, I will add another posting of 6 more photos.

japonica Yours Truly

{{gwi:507854}}

japonica Shiro Chan

{{gwi:507857}}

japonica Tomorrow's Dawn

{{gwi:507859}}

japonica Eleanor Hagood

{{gwi:507861}}

reticulata Dr. Clifford Parks plant

{{gwi:507865}}

japonica Elegans Splendor

{{gwi:507869}}

Comments (3)

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    17 years ago

The 'Your's Truly' is really special, I think! Strikingly different, isn't it?

• austinwildflower
    17 years ago

hi there,
    beautiful!
    I usually roam around the texas gardening forum, but I am wanting to grow camellias and noticed you're in my zone in TX. I'm wondering where you planted these... and how to care for them? Will they make it through the summer? I don't know how camellias do in Austin since I never see them here. Any advice would be helpful!

I bought two 3-gallon plants (one is 'april remembered' and the other 'october affair') and have prepared a bed that is south facing but gets intermittent shade from pecan trees. I wouldn't want to plant them any later than this week so they have a chance to root but also am willing to keep them in the pot till fall.

anyhow, I love the "Eleanor Hagood"... gorgeous!

• camellias1_roses2
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I don't see any reason that camellias should not survive in Austin. Your temperature extremes are similar to mine in TXK. I see the same maximums and lower minimum temperatures. You probably have less humidity in summer than I have, so an occasional misting of the leaves would be beneficial.
    My camellias have been in the ground for an average of 5 years. I have approximately 50 camellias. Mine are planted primarily in a bed that receives sun in the morning and some afternoon sun. They are partially under one large pine tree. There were 2 other pines than provided more protection from afternoon sun but lightning got them a couple of years ago. The summer afternoon sun has been very hard on them and I lost a number of camellias until the remaining ones became more accustomed to the sun. When the weather is below freezing in the winter and the location will receive sun first thing in morning, you will receive damage to your plump flower buds and flowers. The best location in winter is an area that does not receive bright sun before the air has warmed somewhat, and does not receive a lot of drying winter winds.
    I would not recommend trying to plant in a bed facing south unless the pecan trees provide lots of shade in the summer.
    The best location would be facing north.
    You need to prepare the soil and create good holes to plant them. You will need a good mix of top soil, sand and landscaping mix (primarily ground up pine bark and pine wood) in your holes - minimum 2 x diameter of pot. Take plants out of pots and loosen the roots on outside of root ball. If they are root-bound (many roots growing in circles around outside of root ball, take a knife and score the root ball ever couple of inches to get roots to grow in your prepared hole. Plant with the root ball a little higher than the soil and then create a low ridge outside the root line to help keep the water at the roots. The plants will probably settle into the ground some over time and you do not want the root ball too low.
    You will need to water them faithfully the first year to allow them to get good roots established - water deeply and do not let the soil dry out, but do not keep the soil wet either or the roots will rot. Mulch the root area with 3 or 4 inches of pine straw, or some other mulch.
    You will need to water every year in the summer if there is not rain - they need water to prepare the flower buds.
    this may seem like a lot of trouble, but it doesn't take long and you will be very happy when they flower in the winter.
    I have an April Remembered camellia and like it very much - very dependable. I also have a small October Affair, but it has not flowered yet.
    good luck
    Paul

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus
More Discussions