Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantaholic_gw

25 ft camellia japonica in central alabama

plantaholic
14 years ago

this camellia is growing here in anniston AL and is one of the largest ive ever seen. im not sure of the variety... any ideas? it reminds me alot of lady clare.

{{gwi:507880}}

{{gwi:507881}}

Comments (9)

• okintos
    14 years ago

Hello Plantaholic.
    Camellia I think I see in your photos, is Adolphe Audusson. Semi-double camellia are very similar. But when we Adolphe Audusson in sight, this camellia is not confused with other camellias. The photos show in the Forum, were a fortnight ago. The shape of the camellia tree in my picture is very similar to the camellia of your photo. Also the flowers and leaves are very similar. 'Adolphe Audusson' is a variety of Camelia very strong. Many red flowers. It is very resistant to cold. It is a camellia to recommend.
    Regards.
    Daniel D.F. oKintos

{{gwi:507882}}

{{gwi:507883}}

{{gwi:507884}}

Here is a link that might be useful: XLVI International Camellia Show (Slideshow)

• jeepgirl19700
    13 years ago

Whoa Nelly! I had no idea Camellias grew so big!

• GAAlan
    13 years ago

There is a very similar japonica in downtown Palmetto GA, in flower and stature. Huge plant, large red flowers with a stiff, narrow, central column of stamens in each flower. It was in full bloom on March 29 last year.

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Older plantings around here have similar examples, a friend has gotten 33' in height for a local specimen using accurate measuring equipment. In Asia much bigger ones are known.

• davidrt28 (zone 7)
    13 years ago

Good to see some that big in the South. From my travels and what I've read the tree sized ones are more common in Europe. I seem to recall the writings of JC Raulston noting quite a few trees well over 30' tall in Spain and Italy. Although the SE US is more prone to disastrous freezes and storms I also think there is a cultural factor at play; they are so commonly planted as "foundation" or "screening" shrubs and therefore people don't let them get big.

• Carol love_the_yard (Zone 9A Jacksonville, FL)
    13 years ago

I saw a huge pink camellia in the Sussex garden blog linked below. Scroll down to the fourth photo from the top. If you click on the photo twice, you can see it full-size.

Carol

Here is a link that might be useful: Huge Pink Camellia

• Embothrium
    13 years ago

Tall camellias are pretty common in mild enough climates. Some kinds are more upward-oriented than others, what makes camellias shrubs most of the time in western cultivation is the lack of dominating single trunks that reach up high inside the crown.

And not lack of height. Given enough time, these often extend up into the small tree height range.

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    13 years ago

I've seen many big camellias on old properties all over the deep south. You'll see them in cemeteries, also.

• okintos
    13 years ago

It is possible that you like to see some of the heritage trees of camellias that we have in Galicia. These two camellias that I show are not the highest we live here, but they show that large can become camellias.
    Greetings.
    Daniel Dominguez Fernandez oKintos

Camellia japonica S-16 in Soutomaior Castle Garden (Soutomaior, Pontevedra, Galicia, Spain).
    {{gwi:507885}}

Camellia japonica S-16 in Soutomaior Castle Garden (Soutomaior, Pontevedra, Galicia, Spain).
    {{gwi:507887}}

Camellia japonica 'Mathusalem' in the garden of "Pazo de Castrelos" (Vigo, Pontevedra, Galicia, Spain).
    {{gwi:507891}}

Camellia japonica 'Mathusalem'in the garden of "Pazo de Castrelos" (Vigo, Pontevedra, Galicia, Spain).
    {{gwi:507893}}

Here is a link that might be useful: Soutomaior Castle. Exhibition of Camellias 2011

Sponsored
More Discussions