Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
plantaholic_gw

best yellow camellia?

plantaholic
20 years ago

my pick is 'lemon glow'. its truly yellow! the formal double blooms open yellow and fade to a creamy yellow. it beats 'dahlonega' and 'jurys yellow' hands down....in my garden.

i also have 'honeyglow' and 'kogane yuri'. the center of 'honeyglow' is yellowish. 'kogane yuri' is yellow, but the blooms are small and cup-shaped. its a japanese hybrid with the cold sensitive species c. nitida. its still growing in a pot.

other yellows?

Comments (23)

• bungalow_mikee
    20 years ago

I'm very curious about this Lemon Glow.
    It must be a new cultivar? I found only one hit on google: "lemon glow" camellia

No pictures.

Please can you post pictures????
    I'm especially fond of formal doubles.

• LoraxDave
    20 years ago

Is 'Lemon Glow' a Japonica??

I posted a bellyache about 'Jury's Yellow' below. I have been underwhelmed with this one; in fact, I find the blooms to be downright ugly in my experience. LOL. It may be caused by too much Winter sun, though. Hopefully it will improve. I just bought 'Dahlonega' from Hannah's in Birmingham. I would actually like a flower that is a creme color with just a hint of yellow -- hopefully Dahlonega will have that color in my garden. Jury's Yellow just looks dirty to me so far.

• bungalow_mikee
    20 years ago

Hehehehe...

I totally agree with you about Jury's Yellow.
    Of the 3,000 camellia cultivar choices I wonder why this is even ever planted- Yuck!

But does anyone have pictures of this 'lemon glow'?
    I love formal doubles!

• hol36
    20 years ago

I had a Lemon Twist which did well for several years was a very pretty yellow. It did die from die-back? one limb at a time. Bobby

• ilex_opaca
    19 years ago

Lemon Glow pictures are hard to come by, along with nursuries carrying it. Luckily we have a local nursery who has this one. My husband is in love with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Webshots community pic of Camellia JPN 'Lemon Glow' Beesons Rhododendron Nursery

• bungalow_mikee
    19 years ago

thanks ilex,
    I really like the shape of the petals.
    I would probably get it if it was available to me.
    Although, in those pictures it did not look that yellow?

• LoraxDave
    19 years ago

My 'Daholonega' has opened some blooms. (This is weird - Camellias still blooming here and almost May??)

I really like the color on this one. A very pale yellow. At least in my garden, much better than Jury's Yellow!

• lilypage808
    19 years ago

I like the Japanese variety Kinsenritsu. It is an anemone shaped Camellia nitidissimia hybrid.

• evilscott
    15 years ago

Does anyone know where I can get Lemon Glow via mail order? I've Googled all day!

• okintos
    15 years ago

¡¡ Magnificent yellow flower camellia ¡¡ Thanks you, Longriver.

The hybrid inter-specific camellias of Camellia japonica, only they have the yellow soft one. The real yellow camellias, it is endemic species of the South of China and North of Vietnam. Nowadays there are known more than thirty species and subspecies of camellia, with yellow flowers.

In the annual magazine, of the International Society of the Camellia (International Camellia Journal), he writes herself on the yellow camellias, in almost all his numbers. Also in the Magazine of the Spanish Camellia Society ( Camelia). From yellow camellia they must be protected many of the species for his rarety.
    To the sale she is the most common C. nitidissima and some species more.
    Regard.
    Daniel D. F. oKintos

{{gwi:507999}}

{{gwi:507559}}

• luis_pr
    15 years ago

Beatiful. I keep waiting for any medium yellows to be commonly available by industry. I can see why the one above won first prize.

• longriver
    15 years ago

This new hybrid seedling is developed in U. S. The picture was taken at later period of the last flower. Likely More hybrids shall be arriving.

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:507991}}

• snasxs
    15 years ago

OMG, this is the shocking picture from longriver. Quote him: "This is a yellow camellia, most yellow and the largest( 3&1/2 inches in diameter). Only a few persons( possible less than 5) in the world have it in cultivation. This camellia is a newly discovered species in China."

{{gwi:507989}}

• longriver
    15 years ago

I only saw a few small seedlings about 3-4 inches in China. I did not see a larger plant. I also noticed that the leaves were not as large with deep veins as C. nitidissima( as in the picture). They looked smooth like ordinary camellia leaves with little serration, even less waxy shine. The color was more of greyish green.

• snasxs
    15 years ago

LongRiver,

Although I believe you have already made your first million, but I think this plant can get you another million. Do you have one?

From the rainforests of Taiwan and Hainan, to Southern Canton, Yunnan, Guizhou, Hunan, Sichuan, all the way to the Southern Himalayans  this region is like a mother lode of ornamental plants. The climate is similar to the mountains and rivers of Georgia and Carolinas. Many ancient plants from temperate regions escaped the ice age there. The diversity is hard to believe. Repeated field research is needed to get them before they become extinct. The economic development is fast and threatening.

• longriver
    15 years ago

No, I do not have. The short cut of acquiring a special plant and to gow it for 4 years to become a large flowering plant is just to acquire a few grains of the flower pollens.

• okintos
    15 years ago

In the South of China and North of Vietnam, the botanists have identified more than thirty species and subspecies of yellow Camellias. In the last years, there have appeared articles about the yellow camellias in the ' International Camellia Journal ' and in the magazine 'Camelia' of the Spanish Society of the Camellia. Many of these species are cultivated in the International garden of species of Camellia (JINHUA). In our magazine of " Spanish Camellia Society ", the Drs. Gao Jiyin y Du Yueqiang, has written a beautiful article about this one garden and his more than two hundred species of Camellia. Also, on the National Park of Tam Dao, the botanists Tran Ninh and Le Neguyet Hai Ninh, they have written several articles in our magazine.

The yellow flower of the hybrid camellia that 'Longriver' exposes, is a really yellow lemon. A flower more yellow than 'Dahlonega'. In 'Dahlonega', only I have seen a yellow blush. Though the photography of the flower that Stirling Macoboy exposes in his book, is really yellow. Those that I have seen, are never so yellow as in Macoboy's book.
    Regards.
    Daniel D.F. oKintos

Camellia japonica Cv. ÂDAHLONEGAÂ
    {{gwi:508003}}

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:507991}}

• longriver
    15 years ago

We all like camellias. It has been a challenge to produce yellow camellias. Any yellow shade of camellia flowers are welcome.

Yellow camellias hybrids developed from Japan made the first break through, from single gradually to rose form flower.
    Dahlonega may exhibit different shade of yellow, possibly due to cultivation or environment. The substance, coloring and form of Dahlonega is very attractive.

I am a late bloomer. I acquired my first C. nitidissima in 1992. My yellow hybrid should have been flowering three years ago. Possible due to cold weather( my house at hilly area), the flower buds has been dropping for three years. This is the first years to see the flower. The flower itself is not measured up as a show flower. I shall manage to produce more of similar flowers. Hopefully one will look better. This hybrid has reti origin. I have to develop new fertile white reti hybrids first then to make cross pollination with C. nitidissima. The newly discovered yellow species shall benefit our further development.

I also developed a yellow type flower of C japonica origin. The flower can be very beautiful and unique. But after years of evaluation, I decided not to register the flower. Because the flower form is not alway stable. only 30% flower are formal double. Many others are in loose peony or two centered flower in less desirable appearance. Even though I am still oberve the flower every year. Let me show you the one that looks not too shabby.( I hope you can see the picture because My Photobucket has been very irregular)

Here is a link that might be useful: {{gwi:507995}}

• david9707
    15 years ago

Would I be able to grow any yellow from seed? I have never before heard of a yellow Camelia. Would anyone slip me some seeds or preferably cuttings. I will pay for the material and postage. David

• stuckinthedirt
    15 years ago

Would any of these camellias survive my zone 6 winters in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia?

Thanks,
    Ed

• User
    7 years ago

I found this very old thread and thought to resurrect it, as I noticed several disparaging comments about Camellia 'Jury's Yellow'....

Just to put the record straight, I'm very pleased with mine, although I have to admit, I didn't like it much in the first season or two... and the telling point I think is that we have been frost-free for some weeks and none in sight for now, so the blooms are unblemished...

...I obviously fed it well...

• luis_pr
    7 years ago
    last modified: 7 years ago

Nice pictures, Marlorena! I think it would be exquisite if it also had the scent of a wisteria!

And hee hee hee! It sure looks fine and -as you said- very, very well fed! ;o) Wow, look at all those buds!

JY is hard to find locally here although, I saw it either 2 or 3 seasons ago in a local nursery. I did not buy then for lack of $$$ but after seeing your pictures, I now wish I had bought it. It is probably easier to buy by mail order/Internet.

Jury's Yellow is not a "flower bud" winter hardy camellia so I would expect it do well in Zones 7 and warmer. Most yellow ones top out in Z7, 7B or 8 with a few at Z9. The shrub m-a-y be ok if planted outside in Z6 but, the blooms is what I would worry about. It blooms in late winter so, in cold zones like Z6, the cold temps may zap the flower buds in some years (probably more often than not).

And watch out as that can happen in warm zones too. As an example, we had a mild winter in 2016-2017 but, temps crashed to the 20s in early January so my mid-to-late blooming camellias buds got zapped this year. Many hydrangeas were affected too. :o( It does not happen often but, it can a disappointment when it does. If you are in Z6 and want one, consider growing in a container instead; then bring the pot inside when the cold weather hits and stays around, stuckinthedirt. I would recommend camellias that bloom late or very late but I am unaware of yellow ones that do. The Winter Series bloom before winter hits and the April Series bloom very late.

For a list of some Z6 camellias that bloom late, see https://www.camforest.com/category_s/63.htm

David9707, it has been a while since your comment. Did you grow any yellow camellia from seed?

Sponsored
FineLine Kitchens, Inc.
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars81 Reviews
Award Winning Kitchen & Bath Design Center Serving the DMV Area
More Discussions