Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
best yellow camellia?

Posted by plantaholic zone 8a AL (n2tropical@aol.com) on
Wed, Mar 24, 04 at 23:50

my pick is 'lemon glow'. its truly yellow! the formal double blooms open yellow and fade to a creamy yellow. it beats 'dahlonega' and 'jurys yellow' hands down....in my garden.

i also have 'honeyglow' and 'kogane yuri'. the center of 'honeyglow' is yellowish. 'kogane yuri' is yellow, but the blooms are small and cup-shaped. its a japanese hybrid with the cold sensitive species c. nitida. its still growing in a pot.

other yellows?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: best yellow camellia?

I'm very curious about this Lemon Glow.
It must be a new cultivar? I found only one hit on google: "lemon glow" camellia

No pictures.

Please can you post pictures????
I'm especially fond of formal doubles.

o

Is 'Lemon Glow' a Japonica??

I posted a bellyache about 'Jury's Yellow' below. I have been underwhelmed with this one; in fact, I find the blooms to be downright ugly in my experience. LOL. It may be caused by too much Winter sun, though. Hopefully it will improve. I just bought 'Dahlonega' from Hannah's in Birmingham. I would actually like a flower that is a creme color with just a hint of yellow -- hopefully Dahlonega will have that color in my garden. Jury's Yellow just looks dirty to me so far.

o

Hehehehe...

I totally agree with you about Jury's Yellow.
Of the 3,000 camellia cultivar choices I wonder why this is even ever planted- Yuck!

But does anyone have pictures of this 'lemon glow'?
I love formal doubles!

o

• Posted by hol36 Z8a S/W Ga. (My Page) on
    Sun, Mar 28, 04 at 9:27

I had a Lemon Twist which did well for several years was a very pretty yellow. It did die from die-back? one limb at a time. Bobby

o

Lemon Glow pictures are hard to come by, along with nursuries carrying it. Luckily we have a local nursery who has this one. My husband is in love with it.

Here is a link that might be useful: Webshots community pic of Camellia JPN 'Lemon Glow' Beesons Rhododendron Nursery

o

thanks ilex,
I really like the shape of the petals.
I would probably get it if it was available to me.
Although, in those pictures it did not look that yellow?

o

My 'Daholonega' has opened some blooms. (This is weird - Camellias still blooming here and almost May??)

I really like the color on this one. A very pale yellow. At least in my garden, much better than Jury's Yellow!

o

I like the Japanese variety Kinsenritsu. It is an anemone shaped Camellia nitidissimia hybrid.

o

Does anyone know where I can get Lemon Glow via mail order? I've Googled all day!

o

This is a yellow camellia, most yellow and the largest( 3&1/2 inches in diameter). Only a few persons( possible less than 5) in the world have it in cultivation. This camellia is a newly discovered species in China.

Here is a link that might be useful: [IMG]http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/wangjohn666/NewYellowCSpecies.jpg[/IMG]

o

Magnificent yellow flower camellia Thanks you, Longriver.

The hybrid inter-specific camellias of Camellia japonica, only they have the yellow soft one. The real yellow camellias, it is endemic species of the South of China and North of Vietnam. Nowadays there are known more than thirty species and subspecies of camellia, with yellow flowers.

In the annual magazine, of the International Society of the Camellia (International Camellia Journal), he writes herself on the yellow camellias, in almost all his numbers. Also in the Magazine of the Spanish Camellia Society ( Camelia). From yellow camellia they must be protected many of the species for his rarety.
To the sale she is the most common C. nitidissima and some species more.
Regard.
Daniel D. F. oKintos

o

Beatiful. I keep waiting for any medium yellows to be commonly available by industry. I can see why the one above won first prize.

o

This new hybrid seedling is developed in U. S. The picture was taken at later period of the last flower. Likely More hybrids shall be arriving.

Here is a link that might be useful: http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/wangjohn666/Photo2-2.jpg

o

OMG, this is the shocking picture from longriver. Quote him: "This is a yellow camellia, most yellow and the largest( 3&1/2 inches in diameter). Only a few persons( possible less than 5) in the world have it in cultivation. This camellia is a newly discovered species in China."

o

I only saw a few small seedlings about 3-4 inches in China. I did not see a larger plant. I also noticed that the leaves were not as large with deep veins as C. nitidissima( as in the picture). They looked smooth like ordinary camellia leaves with little serration, even less waxy shine. The color was more of greyish green.

o

LongRiver,

Although I believe you have already made your first million, but I think this plant can get you another million. Do you have one?

From the rainforests of Taiwan and Hainan, to Southern Canton, Yunnan, Guizhou, Hunan, Sichuan, all the way to the Southern Himalayans this region is like a mother lode of ornamental plants. The climate is similar to the mountains and rivers of Georgia and Carolinas. Many ancient plants from temperate regions escaped the ice age there. The diversity is hard to believe. Repeated field research is needed to get them before they become extinct. The economic development is fast and threatening.

o

No, I do not have. The short cut of acquiring a special plant and to gow it for 4 years to become a large flowering plant is just to acquire a few grains of the flower pollens.

o

In the South of China and North of Vietnam, the botanists have identified more than thirty species and subspecies of yellow Camellias. In the last years, there have appeared articles about the yellow camellias in the ' International Camellia Journal ' and in the magazine 'Camelia' of the Spanish Society of the Camellia. Many of these species are cultivated in the International garden of species of Camellia (JINHUA). In our magazine of " Spanish Camellia Society ", the Drs. Gao Jiyin y Du Yueqiang, has written a beautiful article about this one garden and his more than two hundred species of Camellia. Also, on the National Park of Tam Dao, the botanists Tran Ninh and Le Neguyet Hai Ninh, they have written several articles in our magazine.

The yellow flower of the hybrid camellia that 'Longriver' exposes, is a really yellow lemon. A flower more yellow than 'Dahlonega'. In 'Dahlonega', only I have seen a yellow blush. Though the photography of the flower that Stirling Macoboy exposes in his book, is really yellow. Those that I have seen, are never so yellow as in Macoboy's book.
Regards.
Daniel D.F. oKintos

Camellia japonica Cv. DAHLONEGA

Here is a link that might be useful: Longriver's yellow camellia

o

We all like camellias. It has been a challenge to produce yellow camellias. Any yellow shade of camellia flowers are welcome.

Yellow camellias hybrids developed from Japan made the first break through, from single gradually to rose form flower.
Dahlonega may exhibit different shade of yellow, possibly due to cultivation or environment. The substance, coloring and form of Dahlonega is very attractive.

I am a late bloomer. I acquired my first C. nitidissima in 1992. My yellow hybrid should have been flowering three years ago. Possible due to cold weather( my house at hilly area), the flower buds has been dropping for three years. This is the first years to see the flower. The flower itself is not measured up as a show flower. I shall manage to produce more of similar flowers. Hopefully one will look better. This hybrid has reti origin. I have to develop new fertile white reti hybrids first then to make cross pollination with C. nitidissima. The newly discovered yellow species shall benefit our further development.

I also developed a yellow type flower of C japonica origin. The flower can be very beautiful and unique. But after years of evaluation, I decided not to register the flower. Because the flower form is not alway stable. only 30% flower are formal double. Many others are in loose peony or two centered flower in less desirable appearance. Even though I am still oberve the flower every year. Let me show you the one that looks not too shabby.( I hope you can see the picture because My Photobucket has been very irregular)

Here is a link that might be useful: http://i11.photobucket.com/albums/a182/wangjohn666/SuzhouEmbroiderypost.jpg

o

Would I be able to grow any yellow from seed? I have never before heard of a yellow Camelia. Would anyone slip me some seeds or preferably cuttings. I will pay for the material and postage. David

o

Would any of these camellias survive my zone 6 winters in the Shenandoah Valley of Virginia?

Thanks,
Ed

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here