Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
cotton ball looking thing on winter blooming camellia

Posted by fragrant_grower Z7a/b, NC (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 17, 06 at 0:22

Hi,
I am new to camellias and i bought this fall 2 winter blooming, japonica? and 1 spring blooming, sasanka?. they are all doing fine. however, one winter blooming bush has some cotton looking thing on its branches. not sure what it is.
the spring blooming just finished blooming but now its leaves are turning yellow. i could be overwatering but have stopped doing so.
what could be the problem? i put some slow release fertilizer from sta-green for camellias early spring. how can i get the maximum winter blooms on these camellias?
thanks in advance.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: cotton ball looking thing on winter blooming camellia

• Posted by bboy z8 WA USA (My Page) on
    Wed, Apr 19, 06 at 14:43

Probably camellia scale.

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Thu, Apr 20, 06 at 1:06

Could be that sort of scale.

But it would help to know what size and shape that "cotton ball thing" is.

o

Thank you both for responding. the size is about small cranberry white and seemed that where the flower was in winter, thats the spot this cotton ball is. Am overwatering?

o

• Posted by jean001 z8aPortland, OR (My Page) on
    Fri, Apr 21, 06 at 23:50

Well, then it's not camellia scale.

Perhaps the beginnings of seed pods?

o

Cotton ball looking thing! Just what I was wondering about! I have a winter blooming camellia. Pale pink, kind of flat petaled flowers. Its got some cotton ball looking things...BUT... they opened! Inside are leaves actually, but very thick (almost like a succulent) and waxy. It's kind of creepy really. There are several on this plant. One is very big. If I push it back together, it is larger than an Extra Large Egg. There are also several smaller ones, all the same thick waxy leaves when it opens. WHAT THE HECK IS IT? Someone must know... Thanks from Laydelyn in Charlotte, NC

o

I still think it is camellia scale, which affects the lower part of leaves and slowly causes leaves to turn yellow. But, here is another possibility... you may be suffering from cottony cushion scale. Its symptoms include "cotton-like" spots on the leaves and joints of the branches. If their numbers are small, you can swab them off with an insecticidal soap or alcohol-dipped cotton swab. If the numbers are too high, then you need to turn to a systemic insecticide, which is potent and has collateral effects on some plants. See Figure 26 in the link below. If you could post a picture, that might help. Luis

Here is a link that might be useful: Cottony Cushion Scale

o

Reply to Luis_pr.... I checked out your link, and that is not what my camelia has, sorry to say.. I hoped it was my answer! What I have is not on a leaf, its attached to the stems, just like a leaf would be. The outside is white, spotted with tan. The one is very large, others are more like the size of a big marble. Very odd. Thanks anyway, I'll keep looking for the answer. Maybe I should take a digital photo?

o

Of course, take a picture and attach it.

o

It's probably camellia gall. Best advice is to remove and dispose of the affected leaves away from the plant. See the attached link.

Here is a link that might be useful: Camellia Gall

o

It might be camellia gall. The description sounds close to what I have. I trimmed the camellia today, cut off all the cottony looking things. I took some photos, but I can't figure out how to upload them. I tried select all/copy... when I come back here, I don't have the paste option. I even tried "cut" from my source photo, still no paste option. I even tried import.
Thanks

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here