Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Camellia leaves have some white streaks

Posted by a.shau 8b (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 3, 14 at 0:45

Hi all, I think we have a camellia japonica (or a camellia of some sort anyways) in our yard. Some of the leaves have white streaks in them. Is this an iron deficiency, or something else? Some of the new leaves growing seem to NOT be discolored. Also, it has a lot of buds but not too many of them opened up.

Here's a flower:

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Camellia leaves have some white streaks

It's a virus but one that seldom damages the camellia other than marking the leaves.

o

Whoa. is there anything I can do about it?

o

Not really. There is nothing that can be used. Probably because it does not damage the plant. Some viruses produce white streaks, others produce yellow streaks. During Xmas 2012, I went to a local nursery to check their camellia stock and they had some for sale exhibiting yellow streaks. So it is a little "common" to see that. If it is not your cup of tea, the only thing you can do is replace the shrub.

o

I don't mind at all. As long as it is not harmful to the plant itself or to other plants, I don't mind the streaks. Does anyone know if this will go away, or is it permanent? I had read somewhere that there was some other camellia virus, but that it goes away after 5 years (??!).

o

Some of these camellias with streaks are known to disappear after a few years but not all. No one really understands the exact process well so when the plant develops streaks, you have to wait and see. I can imagine what a pain this would be to persons trying to sell or register the camellia as a "new" variety! If it is not somewhat stable, you cannot recreate it easily on other plants.

The two suspects are viruses and genetic changes. Camellia blight fungus is also known to stay dormant in the soil for up to 5 years.

o
Tips on pruning (if needed) Camelia tree?

Hey all - thanks so much for your answers on the virus. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to go about pruning this, if it's necessary? Thanks!

o

Here is a good article on pruning by the American Camellia Society. I usually find that I have to do minimal pruning thru the year; only if you are doing an espalier or if you plant it where it will exceed its size at maturity does camellia pruning become a true gardening chore.

Here is a link that might be useful: Pruning by the ACS

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here