Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what's wrong with my camellia?

Posted by tinatina 8 (My Page) on
Thu, Apr 28, 05 at 6:38

It's had a few buds that fell off before they could become proper flowers. Please note brown-edged leaves.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what's wrong with my camellia?

Is possible "cosecatus camelliae". Doyou say the spanish web http://www.efa-dip.org/INDEX2.HTM

o

The brown edges look like winter burn or it could have been the lack of water for a time. Did you have any unusual frosts this winter? I thought I had read that parts of Europe had some abnormally cold days.

o

Thank you, you are so right! it was exceptionnally cold (below freezing, around -6 Celsius) for a good part of February, which only happened one other time this century apparently. I didn't realize it could do so much damage. The flowers have been soft and brown and falling off while still in the bud stage. Is it permanent, or will it recover?

o

It should recover okay. I was at my sister's house today and she was moaning about some of the winter damage on hers and all the buds that didn't open and just fell off. Hers is an old old one that she inherited when she bought the house and it is about 12ft tall and still full of blooms and buds. As far as I'm concerned, it still looks beautiful! Here are some pics of it today (in the rain, lol), where you can see the winter damaged leaves:

This is what the whole thing looks like (fence is 6ft tall):

Don't worry - my sister's camellia has seen temps down to near -15 C this past winter (and has gone through lower temps a few times over the decades) and it's still here. Yours will be fine!

o

It was planted last year, I had flowers the first spring, and no flowers this year, why?

o

joan - do you know what kind it is? Some bloom in winter/spring and some in fall and sometimes fall bloomers are held dormant and were late to bloom when sold (so they bloom in spring).

Otherwise, did you see any buds on it before winter came?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here