Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Pruning Camellias to certain size

Posted by kelly922 6b (My Page) on
Sat, Apr 24, 10 at 11:35

I am interested in planting camellias in a smaller foundational front yard bed that gets little to no sunlight. I am interested
in 'April Dawn' but I know it can get to 8' tall. My question is this - can I prune it on an annual basis to keep it to about 3 - 4 feet tall or no? And if i can't do that are there any varieties out there that can be maintained at that height that will withstand zone 6b?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Pruning Camellias to certain size

Hello, Kelly922. April Dawn will reach 8' after 10 years (4' wide) but it will not stop growing. You can prune to keep it small but be aware that it will continue to try and get tall. I am not sure you will like the annual chore or the look but you are welcome to try and decide for yourself. In general, camellias will live hundreds of years and become huge trees so I would look for one that is not a vigorous grower and one that does not tend to be upright, that is, one that prefers to grow wider. Examples of camellias that prefer to grow wide (but that are not good in your zone) are Chansonette (3' H by 8' W) and Shish-gashira (4' H by 6' W). Someone once told me about April Blush but I am not familiar with it; I suggest you check April Blush and April Rose by calling Camforest Nurseries in NC at 919-968-0504. Do ask for any other recomendations that they may have. And let us know what they suggested.

As long as your camellias will get indirect sunlight in that bed, flower production should not be a problem.

Luis

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here