Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Anyone else growing Camellias in New England?

Posted by bill_ri_z6b (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 25, 11 at 11:56

I'd be interested in success and failure stories of anyone else who is growing Camellias in New England. I have one fall bloomer ("Snow Flurry") that thrives without problems, and a few spring bloomers of the "April" series, one of which is currently in flower with many more buds soon to open.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Anyone else growing Camellias in New England?

That's encouraging to hear! Take some photos to share with us. Are you in Rhode Island? How close to ocean?

o

I will try to post photos. Yes I am in RI zone 6b. I'm in Providence, which is on Narragansett Bay, but not near open ocean.

o

Indeed I do. We are a couple of miles from Block Island Sound. Some Zone 6B camellias flower here except the year it hit -13 F. Nuncio's Pearl is the best of those. Spring's Promise has never bloomed. Winter Fire set lots of buds and just two flowers ever.
But zone 6A camellias do well as you know. Just avoid the winter bloomers as the buds do not survive. Even Winter Snowman blooms too late. Survivor and Snow Flurry bloom profusely, as do April Rose and April Remembered. I tried Autumn Spirit; the verdict is still out.
I have to cover them in the winter, not as much because of the sun, but because of the deer. Liquid fence works but is hard to apply constantly in the cold.
So I would try anything from Camellia Forest that they say will survive in 6A, but not 6B.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here