Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Camellia leaves coppery color but blooming

Posted by Bruce0806 Z-7 Graham NC (My Page) on
Wed, Apr 6, 05 at 12:02

I have a Camellia (not sure which variety) planted on the east side of my house for a year and a half now. It is about 3 feet high now. It was healthy all last spring, summer, and fall, and has bloomed both springs. Since it did well for one whole summer, I'm assuming that it doesn't get too much sun.

During this past winter, it seeems to have turned brownish, but produced many blooms (they are just opening well now). The plant looks like hell, but still appears to be ok. Did cold weather do this, or what? It hasn't dropped any leaves, but they still are coppery brown. I'm hoping that it will start making new ones soon.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Camellia leaves coppery color but blooming

I have the same problem. The grwoth on my established camelias has been amazing but this year, the leaves AND the buds are all copper. What happened? late frost? mineral deficiency? I would appreciate hearing any reponses you get from your initial inquiry -- NOVAnewbie

o

The problem may be spider mites. Spider mite damage is seen through the top of the leaves and will turn them bronze and if left untreated, the leaf will turn almost white. Usually starts down the center of the leaf. YOu can be sure of this by turning the leaf over. You'll see a very fine "dust-like" substance on the bottom of the leaf. This is not like scale which can look like white-cotton candy. It brushes or wipes off easily. You can treat with a horticultural oil, but you have to make contact with the mites for it to work. Simply washing off helps, but they often return. You can also use a miticide.

o

Coppery bronzing of the leaves during winter is due to damage from cold weather, but not necessarily a frost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here