Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
janice_in_socal

Need advice on new sasanqua

Janice_in_socal
19 years ago

hi- I recently purchased a pink camellia that is suppose to be fairly low growing - a sasanqua, I believe. I need to put this in a large container as I am in a condo without a yard. Is this a plant that needs a trellis stake in the pot or is it just a sprawling plant? I have never grown a camellia before so any advice is greatly appreciated. All I know is that I love them and this one just threw itself into my cart! Janice

Comments (4)

• jenny_in_se_pa
    19 years ago

I have a young C. sasanqua 'Cleopatra' start (got it last fall from the PHS plant divide here in Philly) in a small container (8" for now). Camellias in general are slow growing and upright, but I believe the sasanquas are a bit more open habit than japonicas. Does yours have a single main step with branches or multiple branches? I can see a multibranch form perhaps splaying open if there are young branches in heavy bloom but the branches should toughen over time and I expect they can be tied at the base to encourage an upright form.

Also, I would recommend not potting it up too much. One to two sizes above whatever it is in right now should be sufficient as these shrubs/trees can get root rot with too much container volume, since they tend to have mostly surface roots..

• rhizo_1 (North AL) zone 7
    18 years ago

Jenny is right that you should grow your plant in containers that increase in size increments slowly. You don't want your plant to be sitting in a large pile of stagnant soil.

Sasanquas are commonly sold and grown attached to a trellis. However, they do beautifully if trained to be a tree form, as well. You would accomplish this by carefully removing the lower branches as the shrub develops and matures.

• jane_socal
    18 years ago

Janice, there's no "should" about trellises. The growth habits of sasanquas differ greatly with variety -- there are taller upright ones, bushy ones, and ones with low arching habits (such as a showa-no-sakae). If you took one of the latter to trellis, you'd be fighting its natural tendency. Ideally, if you wanted one to screen a balcony, you'd pick one with a more upright habit. If you have a tag that came with yours, it would help to determine how to treat it. Not that you couldn't trellis (or maybe espalier) a lower one, but it won't give you the privacy you might expect from a taller variety.

• longriver
    18 years ago

Some C sasanqua are bushy, upright grower, and some, low spreader. It is such a good habby plant that you can observe the plant to shape it accordingly by pruning or with stalk.

Best of all you may form it into a Bonsai. Bonsai size can be nimi, small, medium and large. It will take some sun. Keep the potting mix moist but never keep it too wet continuously.

Sponsored
KP Designs Group
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars50 Reviews
Franklin County's Unique and Creative Residential Interior Design Firm
More Discussions