Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Placement of 'April Tryst'

Posted by oath5 z6b/7a MD (My Page) on
Sun, Apr 13, 08 at 12:05

I just purchased a gorgeous 'April Tryst' camellia and I'm kinda wondering where to put it. The label said light shade, which can be pretty variable, right? I thought though, since I'm in a colder zone, that protecting it from western exposure is the best way? Or can April Tryst take some more sun....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Placement of 'April Tryst'

Hi Oath,

I'm pretty new to camelllias myself and my first camellia was an April Tryst (which is blooming right now, and I agree, it is gorgeous!.

I have mine at a southwestern exposure which is a bit too sunny for it. I grow tall delphiniums and cleomes in front of it to provide some shade against the afternoon sun. But one day this camellia will outgrow the delphs so I've planted a fast growing blue spruce.

The sun is only a problem in the summer. April Tryst takes a lot more sun than other types of camellias. In the winter it gets full sun without problem. See if you can provide mottled shade from the southwest side in the summer and it'll be pretty happy.

And remember shade doesn't mean complete shade, mottled is fine for this one.

o

The best locations for camellias (japonicas) 'North of the Camellia Belt' would be an open Western, Northwestern or Northern exposure, with protection from strong winds. This is sort of counterintuitive, since they are considered a rather tender plant. An Eastern exposure is OK, provided there is some shading from morning sun. Strong morning sun can be very hard on plants as it warms the leaves in winter, but when the ground is still frozen, the roots cannot pull moisture to supply it to the leaves. As a result you can get a lot of leaf browning which doesn't always show up until Spring. Sunny Southern exposures can result in lots of winter-burned leaves as well. If you have a Southern exposure that gets some shading from tree limbs for most of the morning, that would be an OK spot. My observations in Vienna, VA is that the absolute best-looking camellias were on the Northern and Western sides of homes. Full sun Southern- and Eastern-exposed plants showed winterburn. This is a 7A region. Don't know about 6B.

o

Hi,Just bought one myself.Don't forget they need an acid soil.Unfortunately we have an alkaline soil in this part of the UK and we can only grow them as potted plants using an ericaceous compost.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here