Return to the Camellia Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
New leaves all yellow on two year old camellia

Posted by ginnyginny Zone 9 Calif (My Page) on
Mon, Apr 11, 05 at 12:59

Hello,
I planted a one gallon Buddah Reticulata in 2003. It came from a well known public garden so should be a good specimen. It did have two beautiful blooms this winter. My concern is that all the new leaves are yellow and have been since they opened about a month ago. I keep looking for them to green up but no real change so far. We have had a very wet winter. It is planted on a slight mound and the drainage below should be ok. Should I worry or do anything? Thanks
Ginny in San Jose

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: New leaves all yellow on two year old camellia

Hi Ginny,
What kind of yellow are we talking here-- a golden tint? completely lemon yellow? yellow with green veins? With a better description or picture, it would be easier to diagnose the problem, if there is one (shich it seems there may be). A couple things that I can think of that would make the new leaves more yellow colored would be either a nutrient deficiency, or sometimes if Camellias are planted in high light situations (they usu.prefer partial or full shade) their leaves will turn a yellowy, or bronze-ish color. How are the lower leaves?

Lunaflora

o

Yellowing new leaves on an acid loving plant could indicate an iron deficiency. What is the pH of your soil?

o

Opps, forgot to get back to this question. Thanks for the ideas. I also talked to a member of our local camellia society who said it is most likely the fact that when it was leafing out it was in full sun. The trees that shade it in the summer are deciduous. A fact I didn't think about when I planted it! It may be a lost cause for camellias in this spot. The lower leaves are green, it's just the new leaves from this spring. I haven't checked the Ph but should. Thanks again
Ginny

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Camellia Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here